VW2023 - always grabbing the object I don't want

line-weight

Question

22 answers to this question

59 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I generally use the Move by Points Tool for most moving operations, probably I think as an (unconscious) reaction to this kind of thing happening too often.

I've never actually used that tool.

I should probably try. But it seems to add a couple of extra clicks just to do some simple things.

• Like 1

For moving objects, perhaps, but at least you can be 100% confident your object is going to end up precisely where you want it.

But then there is duplicating/distributing objects (2nd + 3rd modes) + moving an object to a position a certain offset away from another object (4th mode), both of which are indispensable to me + are used constantly.

• Like 2

I agree,

Select/Drag in VW works very well, for 80% of use cases

(Since the added the feature that it will care about selections and not switch to

the most top element when you click, in VW 2016 or so)

And with the CMD+D repeat feature it is pretty powerful

(but to abstract to use for me)

BTW I did not like/use the same tool in Microstation in the past

But for everything more complicated, I use Move/Copy by Points.

It is more familiar and like usual CAD Move/Copy Tools work.

And it got a bit better a few years ago but I still think it is totally

unnecessary tedious and inconsistent, but better than nothing.

When I first tested a VW trial I wasn't even able to reliably move/copy

anything in a controlled way with either of both Tools.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, line-weight said:

I am forever trying to get hold of some object, by one of its snap points, in order to move it. But what happens is that I end up grabbing something behind it, and moving it instead. Often, this is a floor or wall object and sometimes I don't even realise I've accidentally moved it until I find it in the wrong place at some later time.

Screen Recording 2023-02-23 at 17.21.24.mov 2.24 MB · 0 downloads

This is something wrong with the algorithm VW uses to decide what you're trying to pick up, right? Seems to me it needs to give more weight to foreground objects and actual snap points. I experience this in complex models all the time but your screen recording is a really great example of how bad it actually is because it's such a simple model.

• Like 3

Hi

for me grabbing feels also worse compared with older versions.

I think also auto-pane is affected.

Hope we see improvements in this behavior!

I also would like to see improvements in Push/Pull-surface-selecting.

I wrote a wish, that the current active object, will be more in focus for

Push/Pull than the non-active objects.

I always group my object + do my push/pulls inside the group and

ungroup it afterwards.

If you want to vote/support/push my ticket, it is VE-104051.

Greetings and have a nice weekend.

Tobi

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Tobias Kern said:

I also would like to see improvements in Push/Pull-surface-selecting.

I wrote a wish, that the current active object, will be more in focus for

Push/Pull than the non-active objects.

There is a long running thread on push pull problems

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/51856-vw-2018-and-vw2021-and-vw2022-push-pull-tool-problems-continue/page/5/#comment-423987

It seemed that some significant improvements were made in VW2022

But I do feel that I too am finding some problematic push-pull tool behaviour in the current version of 2023. Faces sometimes refusing to select. Not as bad as it has been, but it's still there.

• Like 2
On 2/27/2023 at 8:49 PM, Tom W. said:

I would be very happy if 'Select Coincident Objects...' worked with Data Tags...

Usually if I spend enough time trying I can re-associate a Data Tag to a problematic window on an elevation but I found a very good example yesterday where it's impossible, so submitted a bug. The only solution was to apply a new Data Tag.

1 minute ago, Christiaan said:

Usually if I spend enough time trying I can associate a Data Tag to a problematic window on an elevation but I found a very good example yesterday where I just can't re-associate it, so submitted a bug.

Yes I have had instances where it has proved simply impossible to tag an object because another object gets in the way + refuses to budge (even though in the model that object is behind the object I'm seeking to tag). I have ended up having to use a user-entered-data version of the tag + type in the text manually...

I have also found that symbols inserted in Slabs are completely invisible to Data Tags meaning a manually-entered tag is required there too... This is surprising as to a lay-person, a symbol inserted in a Slab is no different to a symbol inserted in a Wall (door, window, etc) + yet as far as VW is concerned it is different because Data Tags can't 'see' them. Perhaps the reengineering of Slabs that @Matt Panzer mentioned elsewhere will address this... I don't think I've tried tagging a symbol inserted in a Roof so can't say whether it's the same phenomenon there or not.

Despite all this I still flipping love Data Tags

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 3/4/2023 at 5:14 AM, Tom W. said:

Yes I have had instances where it has proved simply impossible to tag an object because another object gets in the way + refuses to budge (even though in the model that object is behind the object I'm seeking to tag). I have ended up having to use a user-entered-data version of the tag + type in the text manually...

I have also found that symbols inserted in Slabs are completely invisible to Data Tags meaning a manually-entered tag is required there too... This is surprising as to a lay-person, a symbol inserted in a Slab is no different to a symbol inserted in a Wall (door, window, etc) + yet as far as VW is concerned it is different because Data Tags can't 'see' them. Perhaps the reengineering of Slabs that @Matt Panzer mentioned elsewhere will address this... I don't think I've tried tagging a symbol inserted in a Roof so can't say whether it's the same phenomenon there or not.

One of the things we want slabs and roofs to be on par with walls is how they take inserts.  If they were implemented in a similar way, I would think Data Tags would just work with their inserts.  In any case, we need to make sure they do work with them. 🙂 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

One of the things we want slabs and roofs to be on par with walls is how they take inserts.  If they were implemented in a similar way, I would think Data Tags would just work with their inserts.  In any case, we need to make sure they do work with them. 🙂 

Matt next you're going to be telling us we'll be able to use texture mapping on Slab components as well 🙂 

Good luck with all the reengineering + look forward to seeing the results. Thanks for filling us in

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Just now, Tom W. said:

Matt next you're going to be telling us we'll be able to use texture mapping on Slab components as well 🙂 

Well... let's not get ahead of ourselves. 😉 

That's certainly up on our list.

Just now, Tom W. said:

Good luck with all the reengineering + look forward to seeing the results. Thanks for filling us in

Thanks Tom and you're very welcome!

• Like 2