Why must the path inside an extrude along path always be turned into a NURBS curve?

matteoluigi

Question

Why must the path inside an extrude along path always be turned into a NURBS curve?

Sure, the extrude could become a 3d-object and the path possibly isn't limited to a flat layer, but, what if? NURBS Curves are more complicated in handling than polygons or polylines.

So, why am I forced to handle a NURBS-Curve inside a path extrude, when a polygon/polyline meets my requirements?

Please place that whis immediately 🙂 

5 answers to this question

I believe the reason is (and I could be wrong) is that this function will not work any other way.  "Extrude Along a Path" is just "Loft with one rail", but is editable.  In order for this function to work it likely has to converts the 2D path to NURBS.  Otherwise this function might not exist.....and it's a good function.  

A work around for this is, keep a copy of your original path (polygon) in memory or in another layer.  Modify the path in that layer.  When you do an "Edit path", delete the existing path and paste the new path in.  More tedious, but it works.