Multicore Cross-Sectional Area

wscooper

I have used a cable as a way of indicating a multicore, as suggested https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2023/eng/VW2023_Guide/ConnectCAD/Spotlight_and_ConnectCAD_terminology.htm#h

However when you look at the calculated cross-sectional area it is calculating it based on there being 12x 12-pair cables?

Rack-FOH-12-1 is the cable I have used as my multicore. There are 4 singles run back to the panel as well.

image.thumb.png.344643ef4059e94f5c76a071e8db07f9.pngimage.thumb.png.bf0bb310e1fbfffcd37339a05ca94537.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@wscooper I think we need to moderate our expectations. Cable cross-section is calculated as a rough guide to help estimate the requirements for cable containment (trays, ducts etc.). The cross-section is calculated as diameter x diameter - nothing too clever. And that needs to be de-rated to take account of cables passing over each other as they turn corners.

The realities of installation can make a huge difference to how much space is taken up. Same is true of cable lengths. An installer whose brain isn't functioning can destroy any estimates simply by dressing the cables in a weird way. Then add to that the fact that cables come on spools of a give length so again your installers can easily cost you several extra spools. And it might not even be their fault - it could just be logistics.

Of course if there are ways to improve this in a manner that is practically useful I'm all for it. But let's not chase the dream of a perfect computer model only to have it trashed by the realities of life on site.

Conrad

Fully agree with you Conrad for real life deployment and the art of working out cabling networks and the art of installing them.

As I explore the feature, I feel its linked to connectcad not truly managing multicores elegantly?

As you say the estimates are estimates, but its estimating for 12 cables, when there is one in reality?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@wscooper I agree that we don't have a specific model for multicore cables and right now we leave this up to the user. In the interests of simplicity we have sort of merged the physical cable with the the signal connection. I am very conscious of how intimidating ConnectCAD can already be for the new user so I want to be very careful about adding yet more complexity. I hear you but I'm searching for a solution that will keep simple things simple.

Conrad

@Conrad Preen that makes a lot of sense ConnectCAD is a very sophisticated extension. I feel in this scenario that a structured method would actually make it less intimidating though. Something simple like having a sub id for cables as a field? This could then be collated automatically in the label [cableID].[subID] and the clever bit be done in the background by connected by simply filtering the circuits?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have found that the same counting issue shows itself on the cable pull report and cabling sheet even if a number of circuits its assigned with a cable ID.

I think currecntly the best way to handle this to use an intermediate device on the schematic to breakout the individual circuits. This to me will prevent confusion with the team on site without having to remember to modify the reports, a step which can be easily forgotten in a rush.

Having played with it a bit more, I think that you could simply add filters to the way connect cad reports. If we have 12 circuits with the same cable type assigned all using the cable (spotlight cable) then report as a single cable on the pull report and the cabling sheet. A nicety would be to show how many circuits you have assigned to the cable just in case you need to size up your multicore.

I don't know how easy that would be, trying to think of a simple way of adding the functionality that doesn't require changing how things currently work.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1