Circuit ID size mysteriously getting 'much bigger'.

tekbench

Have a project.

Have a bunch of devices.

I jump into a 'number' of devices, Edit, and make some changes to the device box (moved connectors down, made the box wider).

Save.

Connect some stuff.

Eat lunch.

Come back and one of the circuit ID's is stuck at Large scale. I delete and try again. Same issue. Try connections between two other devices. Same thing.

Same issue with both the 'arrow' option and the 'polyline' option. Everything is stuck in this super large mode.

File is sensitive, so I"m happy to email to support, but client doesn't want me posting it here for everyone to see. I WILL attach a screen snip showing the issue.

2129451946_ScreenShot2023-02-13at2_24_21PM.thumb.png.c33ebc4baf185a66c74b0a06b9ee8eae.png

• 2 weeks later...

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov

I tried replying to this thread yesterday from my phone, but it would never actually show up. i'd log in, type my reply, hit submit, and it would just clear out the page and the reply would never show up.

There is apparently a bug filed on this now. Support (Rob N.) has a copy of the VW drawing file.

I'm making do by cutting a pasting everything into a new drawing, and rebuilding my equipment, racks and room layout.

Thankfully it's fairly fast to do all this, but I would like to get to the bottom of why it happened in the first place.

Rob N. in support filed it back on 2/14/2023, but I don't have a bug number or anything for you.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Would love to hear the resolution on this as I'm having the same issue.  Although my problem goes the other way- flyoffs and circuit ID's becoming much smaller for no apparent reason.  In some cases I can just delete the cable number and re-enter it, then the number and flyoff become the proper size.

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2023 at 9:06 AM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello @tekbench,

This could be caused by text styles or by class settings. Could you send me sample file showing the issue so that I can look into it?

Thanks,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi Nikolay,

This problem reared it's head for us today. I have a sample file that I will PM you.

Simon

Edited by spettitt
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @spettitt,

The problem in your file is that you have changed your snap grid settings from 4mm to 10mm sometime in the middle of the project. The 'correct' circuits were created with 4mm snap grid and when you reset them by modifying/reshaping them they get redrawn with the new snap grid -> 10mm. This affects the number and connector offset as specified in ConnectCAD Settings dialog. As for the text size you can avoid having the texts scaled if you use text styles in the CC-Circuit-Number and CC-Circuit-Connector classes. Anyway, it is best not to change the snap grid settings after you have started working on the project as changing it will lead to such differences.

image.png

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

1 hour ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello @spettitt,

The problem in your file is that you have changed your snap grid settings from 4mm to 10mm sometime in the middle of the project. The 'correct' circuits were created with 4mm snap grid and when you reset them by modifying/reshaping them they get redrawn with the new snap grid -> 10mm. This affects the number and connector offset as specified in ConnectCAD Settings dialog. As for the text size you can avoid having the texts scaled if you use text styles in the CC-Circuit-Number and CC-Circuit-Connector classes. Anyway, it is best not to change the snap grid settings after you have started working on the project as changing it will lead to such differences.

image.png

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Thanks @Nikolay Zhelyazkov, I've passed that on. Where this has come from is that the user wanted the 10mm snap grid for laying out custom panelwork on the Rack Elevation layer, but didn't realise the snap was a file-wide setting that would inherit back to the schem layer as well.

I think I know the answer, but if there is a way to assign different snapping grids to different design layers, please let me know.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 minutes ago, spettitt said:

I think I know the answer, but if there is a way to assign different snapping grids to different design layers, please let me know.

- As far as I know design layers use the same snap grid. Sheet layers on the other hand have individual snap grid settings.