cherry veneer texture

Mechming

Hi everyone, 

I am looking for a high res cherry veneer texture. It should be american cherry not eu cherry. It is very hard to find something on the internet. I checked the big texture sites but found nothing. It does not need to be a free texture i will pay for it but i just can´t find any. 

thanks in advance for any hints 

2 hours ago, Mechming said:

Hi everyone, 

I am looking for a high res cherry veneer texture. It should be american cherry not eu cherry. It is very hard to find something on the internet. I checked the big texture sites but found nothing. It does not need to be a free texture i will pay for it but i just can´t find any. 

thanks in advance for any hints 

What are you using it for?  If furniture, you might try contacting a veneer supplier and asking them if they have high res. photography.  I’ve had luck getting all kinds of specialty textures from manufactures who do not put such resources on their websites.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mechming said:

Did you ask for a photo from a whole deck or for some individual stripes and how did you make it a texture

Suppliers have photos for a variety of grain patterns.  Google “PBR texture tutorial unreal’ for learning how to make textures, it’s different than what you do in Vectorworks.  I think you are going to get better results from an off the shelf solution unless you are willing to put in the time on learning how to develop these multichannel textures, it can be tricky when starting out to get the right light behavior.

1 hour ago, Mechming said:

I want to use it for my furniture piece that i need to build for my final exam and i want to make a foto realistic rendering with ue5 

How important is depicting the subtle difference between American maple and sweet maple for a project like this really?  Hopefully some furniture builders here will help you out.  @Bruce Kieffer does very nice work.

I gave up trying to apply wood grain texture to Vectorworks models long ago. It's too hard to make the grain run the way grain runs in real wood, and it seems that no matter what you do the color rendered in Vectorworks is never the color you want. Instead I use shaded rendering and a wood tones color palette that I created.

Red oak for this return air grille:

1702093671_Screenshot2023-02-14at12_00_56PM.thumb.png.2c593016c1a0e3de0e92e80b027f9443.png

Red oak cabinets and a maple table:

596887258_Screenshot2023-02-14at12_02_06PM.thumb.png.904729863e94674313c551a8a0d54864.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

I gave up trying to apply wood grain texture to Vectorworks models long ago.

That would be a nice task for a coming Chat/BIM-GPT/3D AI.

I look at all those perfect Renderings of UVW hand-mapped Wood parts

in Visualizations that do not repeat by visual tiling using beam head textures

and so on.

I think, a wrong wood texture's orientation avoided, having a texture at

all does more good than bad in general.

While your pragmatic use of avoidance may be suitable as well.

But at least for 2D Plans with Hatches, some auto intelligence would

be a great feature though.

@zoomer and @Bruce Kieffer and @Mechming

This little 'issue' has been a thorn in my side for YEARS!!!

I have brought this more times than I can count to the good folks at VW....meaning when you use a wood grain texture on door and window trim, etc it goes in one direction only..vertical or horizontal, which is looks just awful..and certainly is not realistic...have you ever seen door stiles with the grain running horizontal??? I seriously doubt it.

So....like Bruce,  I pretty much just use colors and not textures ....sadly. Maybe someday....

That said....I use the add-on 'InteriorCad' for all my cabinetry for a myriad of reasons, and get this....the wood grain on the cabinet doors, drawers, panels, DOES allow the wood grain to go in the right direction!!!  Go figure!

There is an option to choose which direction to apply the wood textures. 

btw, there is some decent looking Cherry on that one cabinet in the screenshot 🙂

1032904760_Screenshot2023-02-14at11_21_46AM.thumb.png.c1ed4f72d09732464f519d6684130530.png

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

This little 'issue' has been a thorn in my side for YEARS!!!

I have brought this more times than I can count to the good folks at VW....meaning when you use a wood grain texture on door and window trim, etc it goes in one direction only..vertical or horizontal, which is looks just awful..and certainly is not realistic...have you ever seen door stiles with the grain running horizontal??? I seriously doubt it.

So....like Bruce,  I pretty much just use colors and not textures ....sadly. Maybe someday....

Me too. I’ve also posted multiple times about THIS over the years. This has been complained about since at least far back as 2006… now going on 17 years. I’ve stopped holding my breath for this ever to be addressed. 

As of VW2023 (2022??) the ability to texture individual faces of objects helps with this a lot. I am not certain if that capability has gotten added into the default Door and Window trim options yet, but if you are modeling something you now have much better control over the direction of the texture (and can even use a separate end grain texture when needed) on the object.

17 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

it goes in one direction only..vertical or horizontal, which is looks just awful..and certainly is not realistic...have you ever seen door stiles with the grain running horizontal??? I seriously doubt it.

For Wood materials I am used to always have two of them ....

one standard and one 90° rotated version.

Along as you model with generic Solids that works well ...

Now I tried to switch to BIM Materials in VW for each Component.

looks like that means the loss of all control for Texture Mapping !?

While I was expecting the long time awaited global XYZ centered

Mapping with manual Offset in VW 2023.

I hope it will work with final overwriting by Face for my PIOs ....

But the main purpose of "global XYZ centered Mapping" with

manual Offset, for me, was that it will work globally in 95% of

cases and prevent me for manual overwriting in most cases ....

I see "global XYZ (reliable) centered Mapping with manual Offset"

was in the past for me the most basic least common multiplier

of mapping offered in CAD Apps.

Not sufficient and unsatisfying in many important special cases

but helpful anyway in 90% of texturing cases. And now it went finally

into VW .... but not often accessible ?

Edited by zoomer
2 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

If you use a Custom Leaf/Door Symbol/.....

But I think that is not really the intend to use these manual overwriting,

just for a peripheral overwriting of texture mapping. I see it as a workaround

when needing very special geometries not covered by PIO's features.

As using of Symbols or external parts in parametric PIOs has also the

disadvantage of simplified unrealistically scaling, or not even at all, when

needing to adjust the overall Door dimensions.

(I am thinking of RVT imported Doors)

32 minutes ago, zoomer said:

As using of Symbols or external parts in parametric PIOs has also the

disadvantage of simplified unrealistically scaling, or not even at all, when

needing to adjust the overall Door dimensions.

Yes I have different leaves for different sizes + don't scale them. It's all a trade off... 

• Like 1

I have to think the need is limited to a small number of Vectorworks users who would make use of "real" woodgrain texture mapping to justify Vectorworks allocating engineering resources to create the tool or method. I would love to see it though. I imagine it would work like this: Apply a woodgrain texture to an object, then define the grain direction. Vectorworks takes care of the rest. 

• Like 3