Black spots in rendered viewports with indirect lighting with M1 Silicon

erminio

Question

Hello guys
does anyone experience this strange phenomenon of black random spots in renderworks rendering with indirect lighting?
It occurs to me with M1 arm silicon cpu expecially after several render tries or launching several renders at the same time
This makes me think could be due to a lack of RAM, since reloading the file, things seem to go better for a while
However I've to say my Mac Studio Max has 64GB of RAM and with my i7 2017 iMac 27 with 40GB of RAM the problem doesn't occur
Looking at system memory usage, RAM seems to be enough
Both Macs have vw 2023 SP3 with 13.2 Mac OS Ventura
Any suggestion?

Thank you for your time

Black Spots.jpg

5 answers to this question

Thank you Andy

Normally I don't import from Sketchup, but often from AutoCAD

However I've made a script searching for empty 3D Polys to be sure about and I can confirm you that there aren't

I find weird that I've not seen others with the same problem, since it occurs to me so usually

Maybe it depends from a low level CPU problem

Edited by erminio

Hi all

since none else has encountering my problem, I've made several tries, excluding possible interferences of other programs and/or firewalls

It came out that my sync files app pCloud seems to interfere, probably because it tries to write simultaneously on the Vectorworks swap file

I've excluded pCloud and now Vectorworks seems to be faster and more stable

I've launched some heavy 3D section VP and Vectorworks worked well

I'm trying to exclude swap file from syncing 

The weird is that with the i7 iMac didn't encounter the problem but very rarely

I still get problems of artifacts with 3D cutouts with M1, but that's another story

image.thumb.png.faaf3d65bc96c50e550d864f67ef2689.png

@erminio, a few thoughts...

1) I assume the rendering you showed, with the cutouts issue, was a viewport on a sheet layer?? IF so, make sure that the sheet layer has a resolution  MORE than 72 dpi...like 300-400 for starters. Is that a shaded render or did you use a custom RW setting?

2) it is a very good idea, when having issues like the ones you noted, to upload your file so some of us that have experience with such things can take a look at your file.  Usually, within a few minutes the pesky issues can be addressed 🙂

If you elect to upload your file make sure you note what version of VW you are using.

1 hour ago, Kevin K said:

@erminio, a few thoughts...

1) I assume the rendering you showed, with the cutouts issue, was a viewport on a sheet layer?? IF so, make sure that the sheet layer has a resolution  MORE than 72 dpi...like 300-400 for starters. Is that a shaded render or did you use a custom RW setting?

Thank you Kevin for your interest

Yes it's a VP on a sheet layer

Res is 150 dpi and the Renderworks Style is accurate Final Quality

Shaded VPs also get the same white halo, but cutouts are better rendered

image.thumb.png.1cb0f1fa010969ebcbecf7bce57867e1.png

1 hour ago, Kevin K said:

2) it is a very good idea, when having issues like the ones you noted, to upload your file so some of us that have experience with such things can take a look at your file.  Usually, within a few minutes the pesky issues can be addressed 🙂

If you elect to upload your file make sure you note what version of VW you are using.

My last note actually is an off topic
I apolgize for that

It refers to an issue I've reported in another topic

I link it below with the file included

As you see in the final considerations, the problem of this white halo shows up only on Macs with silicon processors

Edited by erminio