Paste & Paste in Place different 10 years ago vs today ...

Elite Exhibits

Question

Paste & Paste in Place different 10 years ago vs today ...

Experiencing anomalies with Paste and/or Paste in Place - Most notably when editing existing extrudes / 2D_3D symbols in the drawing. Tested same issue in a 10 year old version of VW/RW Designer and our current version 2020. Old version works as expected new one is anyones guess what it is doing. Did come up with a few workarounds that required initial extra steps ... Is there a different way that Paste in Place works now ?

(¿ VW/RW always remembers the original location of creation ? )

Suggestions are always appreciated

Peter

9 answers to this question

Not sure about version history of the Paste in Place for Extrudes and EAP profiles, but I have at least a vague idea of a couple things that can affect. Not testing right now, so this is from memory. But I think I have experienced a couple Paste in Place surprises in recent versions. 

One issue is whether the extrude is in original location and rotation when the source profile is accessed. If extracted from orig location, all is good. If source profile is extracted from a moved version of the extrude, the original location may be “remembered” during Paste in Place.

Another possible bugaboo involves the drawing status in the extrude Edit pane.  It is possible to extract the profile from a working plane determined by 3d view angle when the edit is initiated. This might make unpredictable PIP. Extracting from Layer Plane seems more predictable. Look at the Active Layer Plane pull down. I think it defaults to Extrude #1 or similar. I think that can only be changed to Layer Plane if the drawing is in TopPlan. Copy from Layer Plane in TopPlan might give more predictable Paste in Place. 

I think???

-B

• Like 1

I use paste in place all the time. Is the earlier version you're testing in pre-layer plane / screen plane? I usually only see anomalies in situations where the user origin has been moved, inside symbols (moving to or from), inside extrudes (moving to or from) and sometimes when the plane you were on doesn't exist (eg. pasting from sheet layer to design layer or the other way).

Kevin

8 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

This might make unpredictable PIP.

Benson Shaw ... Thanks

The operative word for today = Unpredictable (Though I do have a sense of the items you mention above.) I went back 10 years to an older version of VW/RW Designer and I could NOT find this same unpredictability. So... in VW/RW 2019/20/21 et al, it is now assumed that Paste in Place no longer works. - It is now Paste at Location of Creation (?) A menu item that I currently am at loss to find a real function for. In the example, attached, the extrusion in question, was likely created over 10 years ago by a different person in a different CAD application. Was this not the norm?  When you cut an object, Paste in Place would put it back where it came from. Period. VW picks the parameters when one double clicks an extrusion to edit it. So location / orientation should not be an issue. (I am also finding that plain old regular Paste no longer places the object from the clipboard at the last cursor click, or centered on a selected object, unpredictably).

I am in agreement that there are circumstances, ie: inside an Extrude / Group / Symbol when an existing(?) BUG is most evident. (Andy Bromell has detailed this in another FORUM  post)  The issue is not a new Workflow, but a corrective measures needed Workflow to offset the complications created. (Because editing extrusions is in my day to day, I have developed a work around, though it involves a few extra steps that I once, did not need to perform.)

(...as a side note, when I went to record the Paste in Place faux pas in action, for Pat to review, I stumbled into yet another edit aggravation BUG(?). Double clicking the extrusion, left the drawing with an empty screen and nothing selected) second attachment (This is not always the case though, when this does happen, a work around is something like :  Command A / Command 6 / Command 5 / Command 2 / Command 2 or Command 4 if the relationship of the geometry to the page scale is understood)

Suggestions are always appreciated !

Peter

Kevin

The older version of VW/RW mentioned was after the Screen Plane / Layer Plane debacle started. (I believe that Screen Plane / Layer Plane started in 2010 (?)

Did do a search in VW/RW HELP for Paste In Place - Ironically, tested Extrusion in question, was literally for an aluminum extrusion!

I would agree that Paste in Place works, it is just the unpredictability, when it does NOT work, that is the issue. 

Peter

Search Help for Paste in Place.pdf

"Paste in Place" is really "Paste in the same spot in relation to the current origin" - so the unpredictability comes in due to the fact that many objects contain their own internal origins, such as Extrudes, Solid Additions, EAPs, etc. When you copy from inside of one then paste somewhere else, it's technically maintaining some relationship to the 0,0, but this might very well be not what you want / expect.

I agree it can be quite annoying. I wish we had smarter versions of Paste and Paste in Place. Don't get me started on working in an orthographic view and pasting a 2D object and it gets pasted perpendicular to your view. 🤬

They still haven't fully solved plane issues despite deprecating Screen Plane a few years ago...

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Elite Exhibits said:

(I am also finding that plain old regular Paste no longer places the object from the clipboard at the last cursor click, or centered on a selected object, unpredictably).

I am not seeing this either in VW2023. I copy an object, click, and the object center pastes at the point of the last click.

Please add your OS and VW versions to your signature so we can see what it is we are looking for.  Directions are in my sig.

Pat

Depending on what is drawn, Paste and Paste in Place work. The unpredictability, as Andy / Benson mention above is inside an Extrude, a Symbol or ... sometimes a mix of Layer and Screen Plane can be unpredictable. I find it can been unpredictable, when you zoom in on a selected object - Paste - zoom back out. 

I run three versions on three different machines. The videos in the post above were created in VW/RW 2020 on an iMac Pro macOS 10.6.8

This version / computer / OS combination has been the most stable. 

Peter

VW/RW  Designer 2020