Landscape - Twinmotion/vectorworks Workflow

designit

Hi Vectorworks community!

Are there any landscape Architects out there that are using twinmotion.

We previously used Lumion but it became just too expensive and I have now purchased twin motion.  however, my team states that its very limtied and there are no plants/limited plant libraries.  I thought that Vectorworks plants rendered in Twinmotion - we also have purchased plants from Globe Plants and VizPark, but it doesn't seem that this is enough.

Have I got it totally wrong (as I am certainly not a renderer user and am too old to learn new tricks)

1.   Do Vectorworks 3D planst render in Twin Motion, if so where do you find the correct 3D plant symbols?

2.  Can you create plants - like we do in Lumion (Billboards)or sketchup so that they rotate and look at you as you move through it.

Are people able to post some images or screan shots of what you are able to achieve in a Vectorworks - Twin Motion workflow it would be of great assistance. 

7 hours ago, designit said:

Are there any landscape Architects out there that are using twinmotion.

Yes, there are several of us using vectorworks and Twinmotion.  Lots of valuable threads here , just use the search function.

7 hours ago, designit said:

1.   Do Vectorworks 3D planst render in Twin Motion, if so where do you find the correct 3D plant symbols?

2.  Can you create plants - like we do in Lumion (Billboards)or sketchup so that they rotate and look at you as you move through it.

1. No, neither Image Prop (billboards), Rendermall(3D), or the recently added laubwerks (3D) plants render the way one would hope.  The first problem is related to how Vectorworks exports textures.  I have a great thread linked in my signature about that mess.  You end up having to redo your textures to get things to work.  The second part is Vectorworks Imagep Props come in as crossed planes, which you want in Vectorworks for better shadows, but don’t want I. Twin motion due to the visual effect.

2. Twinmotion comes with some plants that are generally useful for filler, depending on your region.  You can revolve them and make a few adjustments to get suitable variety for background plants.

To get the best from Twinmotion in terms of plants, you buy 3rd party plants (I prefer FBX format) and import them directly to Twinmotion and use them to replace your vectorworks plants.  Your libraries of plants can be used in many programs this way, not just one render engine.

recent example:

D71F78E3-4897-44E8-89DA-5BC9BBD963FD.thumb.png.b6a8ec7bf98c3baa51b934c76fc05a8d.png

• Like 4
  • 3 months later...

hey @designit

love your work. I'm also a Sydney based designer and have wondered this too for a while. 

Currently I am on Vectorworks 23 and have found rendering in Vectorworks sometimes to be amazing. I am using globe plants and building my own ones at the moment. I also use Twinmotion from time to time but find the Vectorworks ones to be enough for the clients I work with. Attached are 2 images of a current project where I am using globe plants within Vectorworks. It isn't a final quality render but it does have a heliodon, plus it's just a screenshot. I also need to pull back oil the vibrancy of the colours but I do that in the final quality renders. In others I have done recently the reflections on glass and water have been amazing within Vectorworks. I've also played with the animation features within Vectorworks. 

Send me a DM if you want to compare notes. I'm often on the north shore. 

1459803601_Screenshot2023-05-11at9_40_58pm.png

1512379898_Screenshot2023-05-11at9_41_04pm.png

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...
On 5/11/2023 at 4:49 AM, Ben Miura said:

hey @designit

love your work. I'm also a Sydney based designer and have wondered this too for a while. 

Currently I am on Vectorworks 23 and have found rendering in Vectorworks sometimes to be amazing. I am using globe plants and building my own ones at the moment. I also use Twinmotion from time to time but find the Vectorworks ones to be enough for the clients I work with. Attached are 2 images of a current project where I am using globe plants within Vectorworks. It isn't a final quality render but it does have a heliodon, plus it's just a screenshot. I also need to pull back oil the vibrancy of the colours but I do that in the final quality renders. In others I have done recently the reflections on glass and water have been amazing within Vectorworks. I've also played with the animation features within Vectorworks. 

Send me a DM if you want to compare notes. I'm often on the north shore. 

1459803601_Screenshot2023-05-11at9_40_58pm.png

1512379898_Screenshot2023-05-11at9_41_04pm.png

Ben, hope you don’t mind me reviving the this thread with a question.

Are those low poly or high poly globe plants?  I’m looking to purchase a few collections of globe plants for use in both twinmotion & vwx, and was wondering whether they were low or high poly, and which file format you downloaded as it appears they have multiple formats to purchase.

On 3/16/2024 at 10:50 AM, Cody Worthman said:

Ben, hope you don’t mind me reviving the this thread with a question.

Are those low poly or high poly globe plants?  I’m looking to purchase a few collections of globe plants for use in both twinmotion & vwx, and was wondering whether they were low or high poly, and which file format you downloaded as it appears they have multiple formats to purchase.

I think they were high poly. It does make the file very heavy and clunky to work with. 

Interesting the announcement today by Globe Plants and VectorWorks. Unfortunately it's Image Props that they are collaborating on.

Edited by Ben Miura
On 3/21/2024 at 10:12 PM, Ben Miura said:

I think they were high poly. It does make the file very heavy and clunky to work with. 

Interesting the announcement today by Globe Plants and VectorWorks. Unfortunately it's Image Props that they are collaborating on.

Yeah..I feel like I can make my own image props.  I'm wondering if its possible to purchase the high-poly, and create a copy in Vectorworks and simplify the mesh so its not as laggy.  Not sure if that's possible, but I might have to purchase some and see if it works out.

3 hours ago, Cody Worthman said:

Yeah..I feel like I can make my own image props.  I'm wondering if its possible to purchase the high-poly, and create a copy in Vectorworks and simplify the mesh so its not as laggy.  Not sure if that's possible, but I might have to purchase some and see if it works out.

It works, but Vectorworks has a problem exporting the textures to Twinmotion.  Problem is years old and work around take hours on each project.  Search the forum for some examples.

I think a better approach is to use image props in Vectorworks and doing your high poly work in Twinmotion.  You can make your image of the purchased plants in Twinmotion and create Image Props from them in VWX… if you have the time.