Property line tool

Landartma

Question

On 2/10/2023 at 10:41 AM, Kevin K said:

True Tom, but really why would you even need to convert it to a property line object? 

There are a few really good uses for property line objects.  They are helpful in laying out subdivisions and reporting the lot #s, areas, and curve tables.  On a single residence, they can be useful for providing distances and bearings for laying out easements or encumbered areas of a site, and then providing area calcs for those.  Finally, they can texture the model by putting them in the texture bed mode and you can essentially shade an area of the site model... a nice trick for indicating an area of a site (both in 2D and 3D) that needs to be preserved during construction for instance.  That being said, the tool could be a bit easier to use.  It's powerful once you know how to use it, kind of like the maligned EAP tool 🙂

Here's an old quickie example.

The mauve color indicates a proposed protected portion of a lot.  A single property line object provides 2D and 3D depiction, bearings, and reported data for various needs.

A second property line object is used for the actual property line.  A report can then be created which does math to solve for the data the city is interested in.  The same can be done with polygons, but without the advantage of bearing and distances being automatically available.  In this case, a surveyor was going to stakeout the lines on site and property lines are their kind of objects 🙂

1172440527_ScreenShot2023-02-11at12_29_02.thumb.png.6aeb096d5db5b069fa81a6bcfc81d8b6.png

1081324102_ScreenShot2023-02-11at12_30_30.thumb.png.815569b378f9f74210bb2536e7f56970.png

• Like 1

Great examples for using the property line tool.  But look, the problem is really simple.  Property line descriptions can be either clockwise or counterclockwise.  Surveyors don’t really care, those can be mixed on a given boundary because they are being reused from an adjacent property’s description, so we end up with some segments being described clockwise and some counterclockwise.

Software engineers need to be aware of what the problem is, why they can’t impose their idea of order on reality, and figure out a user interface that makes things work in an intuitive way for us.

• Like 2

@jeff princeYeah Jeff, you are correct pertaining to the value of the property line tool 🙂

My comments to @Landartmawas simply offering an option and a way to arrive at the same destination since it seemed to be a bit frustrating for him/her? to use that tool. Then of course once you composed and close the object you would probably benefit from the data that the PL tool offered up, for sure.

5 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

@jeff prince @P Retondo

For grins I took the pdf file that @Landartma was trying to get to work and created a simple file after converting the items to a property line tool item. All the bearings and arcs seemed to match what the pdf was showing even though the hand drawn survey data was a bit off...so I guess it worked 🙂

You drew it with the 2D tools and converted to property line right 🙂

Drawing from the property line interface is challenging to say the least.

• Like 3

That property line tool can be a challenge, especially if you need arcs by the thousands!

Honestly, my projects almost always retain a surveyor, hence me not using the PL tool very often.

I gotta say…it is easier for me to contemplate the math involved relating to Black Holes in the universe than figuring out that tool. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Ok so since we are playing show and tell.  Here is what I ended up with.  The PL tool worked fine once I figured it out.  When I realized the plan was off by feet I decided to get it as accurate as possible.  Quite frankly for what I do a trace over that I just verify line lengths usually works but this one was too far off so I decided to figure out how to use bearing tools.  Really great conversation.  Your collective input is much appreciated.  Wait till you see how I screw up my site models....LOL

818188086_RenyBaseMap.vwx

I was searching all over to find this thread and @E|FA sent me to the right place - I read this at the time but forgot the syntax.

On 2/8/2023 at 4:39 PM, Kevin K said:

....as an alternative to the property line tool and which is also a bit less confusing, is to simply use the line tool and input the length and the bearings, etc. Then just move all the lines so they connect...

Kevin K - thank you for this!