Attaching fixture to truss causes truss to become invalid?

scottmoore

I am, against my better judgement, attempting a drawing using BraceWorks truss symbols.  A couple of bothersome things I’ve thus far encountered:

- when snapping a lighting device to a piece of 12” utility truss, it snaps to the center as expected and then I have to move the fixture +/- 5” to align the a truss chord (using the move command, not dragging) This is expected behavior as I understand it. When finished, some fixtures are attached to the bottom chords and some, inexplicably, to the top chords. All the same lighting device symbol inserted the same way; dragging until the red centerline appears. 

- I just encountered a scenario where attaching a fixture to a truss causes the truss to become an “invalid truss symbol”.  That seems far more unusual. One note, I did modify the truss symbols in the following manner:

- modified the 2D appearance of the trusses to make them appear a bit more realistic.

- added a texture to the 3D component instead of a color

- truncated the symbol name in the resource browser. 

I’ve also duplicated the symbols to have both black and silver options. Interestingly enough, the black trusses are the original and the silver are duplicates, but it is the black truss that has the issue. The Silver duplicates perform as expected. 

Any thoughts?

On 2/6/2023 at 9:18 PM, Scott C. Parker said:

Big question, did it all work before you did the editing of the stock symbols? 

Good question, but I don’t know as I always edit items before bringing them into a drawing. Since I was under a deadline I reverted to using my truss symbols. I’ll circle back to this at some point soon. 

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 2/7/2023 at 3:50 AM, scottmoore said:

- when snapping a lighting device to a piece of 12” utility truss, it snaps to the center as expected and then I have to move the fixture +/- 5” to align the a truss chord (using the move command, not dragging) This is expected behavior as I understand it. When finished, some fixtures are attached to the bottom chords and some, inexplicably, to the top chords. All the same lighting device symbol inserted the same way; dragging until the red centerline appears. 

You should be able to snap the light to either lower chord of the truss. The trick is to hover the mouse just outside of the truss, the insertion preview should them correctly display the light on the chord. The light will only snap to the center line if the auto-connect highlight triggers. I find using the simplified truss view with the rest of the truss geometry turned off makes this much easier to do, since it reduces the number of snapping targets

• Like 2