Truss type in symbol but asked at first use

Ben3B

Hello ,

When I record a truss symbol as red symbol (modify /create symbol /convert to plug in) 

At first insert with the truss tool (double click on the symbol) it ask me the truss type ...

But If I edit the 3d symbol, customize truss symbol, the type is in the field...

If I click and drag the symbol, it doesn't ask the type and the truss symbol is usable with other with the same type ...

8649161_Pbtrusstype.vwx

Complete guess, but it sounds like you are working from a blank file and the "Truss Defaults" have not been set for the file.

If you work from a template file, add a truss object manually first so you get the dialog box to set the defaults. You can then delete that truss and save the template. Then when you bring in a Red Symbol truss it should not ask for the type.

$0.02

16 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

add a truss object manually first so you get the dialog box to set the defaults

Yes but why Have I to do that ? Because I start from a truss symbol with the truss type known, and when I edit the 3 d component, I can see that the truss type is known ... 

I'm looking a way to add some data to a truss symbol, I put that data in a personal record, and then I want to save that truss symbol as red symbol in order to can use that truss symbol in other file, with that data attached ... 

And If I have to manually put the truss type in each new red symbol, it's a loosing time   

so attached 2 vidéo , the first one I start from spotlight template (i misread your answer) and the second one is the following where we can see that as soon as the truss type is filled in, it s ok to use in other files .

I thought so, but I just tested in VW2023 and VW2021 and don't get the behavior I remembered.

I know that the Door and Window settings dialogs popped up if you entered a generic door or window. I don't know how many times I clicked OK to just have a basic object that I did not care about the settings for. I am not seeing that now in either version.

I don't use Truss other than to try and troubleshoot other peoples problems.

I just tried exactly what you mentioned above and I get the same result. The Truss Type must be named before being able to be used from a Red Symbol.

Also, when I did my test I created a red symbol out of a TomCat 12x12. I then tried placing a TomCat 20x20 in the drawing and then importing the red symbol and got a dialog box about the Rigging Record being different.

@TomWhiteLight@scottparker can you or someone from VW explain this?

• Like 2