Wall lineweights in isometric

Suuella

Hello, 

Is it correct that you can only overwrite the outline of the wall component in section an floor plan but not in isometric views by class?

So we have to set the class existing-wall- exterior to 0.10 and then overwrite the class in floorplan to something like 0.35 mm?

And not the other way round (class with 0.35) and viewport class overwrite with 0.10 to get a fine line in an isometric view? 

In a Top/Plan viewport you can edit the line weight of the Wall container class + the line weights of the individual Wall component classes.

In an isometric Hidden Line viewport you can only edit the line weights of the individual Wall component classes.

The container class line weight only comes into play in Top/Plan + section viewports.

I think.

Many thanks @AlanW it's hard to tell until you change scale + zoom in but in the wall-with-components version it is not the Wall itself which is having its lineweight increased but the outer component which in many circumstances may not be the wanted look:

203239291_Screenshot2023-02-06at10_14_08.thumb.png.9e4953c78eae10e9b7e3f5474faf9892.png956814423_Screenshot2023-02-06at10_14_35.thumb.png.7e9279bc69008bb94a14952994d36e82.png

So in iso the behaviour is not the same as in Top/Plan

I believe that in hybrid objects with components, the Top/Plan view is normally set by the Attributes of the object. The 3D view is set by the Attributes of the Component. 

So if you set your component Attributes to By Class you should be able to override them. 

And you don't have to override the outer component, but any component that is specified By Class.

I took the original question to mean 'can you give a Wall an outline in iso views in the same way you can in Top/Plan + section views?' Yes you can override the line weights of individual components but that's not the same as overriding the line weight of the Wall itself i.e. the container class. So in iso views if your Wall has one component it will look ok:

2130674124_Screenshot2023-02-06at16_28_56.thumb.png.8034ce46cdab5d8cd6713241f05adbf1.png

But if you have multiple components you end up with this:

1231170818_Screenshot2023-02-06at16_29_00.png.eba6e552a20fed7baa1e158a30e44f33.png

But it's possible I misunderstood the question.

Sorry if I expressed myself misleadingly.  My office right now  is creating our first 3d project as a test balloon and template.

And the goal is to get 1:50 construction documents with nice line weights (as in https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/architectural-graphics-101-line-weight/).

I was inspired by @Tom W. and  @Kevin K and their postings for construction documents and sections generated from the 3d Model, like in this thread:

In Order to do that,  I have many cases where I want a thick outline in detail or floorplan  and a thin line in section/Elevation/Isometric.

I See two options :

A) All container wall classes with 0.10 and then overwrite in floor plan to get heavier lines for elements like  for walls, etc. with 0.35, 0.25...

B) Or Heavy lines in the original classes and then overwrite to 0.10 for Isometric and Elevations.

The example file from AlanW worked as expected, but I can't get my own test file to work.

I`m confused why this may be....

wall test.vwx

23 hours ago, Suuella said:

The example file from AlanW worked as expected, but I can't get my own test file to work.

I`m confused why this may be....

Hi @Suuella check the Render tab for your Walls: in the 'Mode' drop-down they are set to render 'By Object'. You need them to be set to 'By Component'. As explained above in 3D views you can only override the component class so it's necessary for the Wall to be set to render by component. 

If your wall only has one component you can get the effect you're looking for but if it has more than one I don't think you'll like how it looks because you are editing the line around the component rather than the line around the wall itself:

1829517559_Screenshot2023-02-07at19_45_03.thumb.png.80bdcab1df875140150dae4ef6070aea.png

• Like 1

@SuuellaHi , you mentioned a test balloon and template.  The way our office uses 3d model is to generate the plan (with 2D overlays furniture etc) elevations and base sections. We use this to generate a 3D model to put into Twin motion to where we dress the model and walk the Client through in 3d often with a VR headset. 

We go construction documents the old fashion way detail in 2d accurately. I dont believe you can document a building fully within a fee budget in 3D. No one needs to detail all the flashing in 3d when a simple 2D will do.

HTH

@AlanW@Tom W.Thank you. My initial question was the result of a bug I think because I couldn't overwrite any class. After updating and rebooting it works as expected. 

I agree with you that full 3D ist not feasible at the moment but the goal is to get the floor plans, base sections and elevations (up to 1:50) like you described, annotate them and use the model as a guideline to draw the details in 2D. 

• Like 1