Help Creating and Managing Custom Text Styles

I'm having difficulties navigating this process on two fronts. First issue is my attempt to create a custom text style for dimensioning that would be a default option with every file I create going forward. I was finally able to do so by saving a new style under the format text menu within the text styles file accessed through the resource manager. I did however create a second text style that I would like to remove from the style pulldown. I cannot figure out how to do so.

The second but related issue was my attempts to follow directions for creating custom default content/text styles found here:

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2017/eng/VW2017_Guide/ResourceManager/Creating_Custom_Resource_Libraries.htm#XREF_93766_Creating_Custom

I created new folders with .vwx files in the TextStyles file folders via both  [Vectorworks]\Libraries\Defaults\Text Styles\ and [User]\Libraries\Defaults\Text Styles\. This had no effect on the text styles available via the format text option. The folder/file I created shows up in the Resource Manager for User Libraries but does not for the VectorWorks Libraries. Despite having the file show up in the Resource Manager under User Libraries it does not seem to be of any use.

While I have the custom text I want available now, the hep article linked above seems to suggest I might lose it when VectorWorks updates. It is very likely I am misunderstanding this, along with much more here. If anyone can simplify the two issues I am having here for me it would be greatly appreciated!

There is more detail on this in other threads, but here is some quick information.

If you are stilll on VW2017 then that help article is probably ok even if not complete. But the paths/folders for defaults have changed as of VW2023.

Default content can be stored in three places and the tools/objects will still be able to find them.  Application Folder, Workgroup Folder, User Folder.

If you have a file named identically in those folders, only the file "closest" to the User will be shown.  So if you have Default.VWX in both the User folder and Applications folder, only the one in the User folder will be show.

It is best practice to put you custom content in the User of Workgroup folder for a couple of reasons.

1. It is easier to migrate your User/worksgroup folder to a new version than to figure out which files you have added to the Application folder and have to manually migrate them when you upgrade.

2. If you add your content to one of the already existing files in the Application folder, if that file changes in an upgrade to VW, the installer will likely just overwrite the old version with your changes and your changes will be lost.

3. If you add a new file to the Application folder, it is possible, but less likely that the installer could delete that file (maybe if the entire folder was being replaced). The is less likely than if you add the changes to an existing file, but possible.

To remove the style you don't want you have to determine where it is coming from and delete it from there.

If it is in the active file, then just delete it from the current file.

If it is in the Defaults, then you have to open the correct file and delete it from there. You then need to either restart VW or run the Refresh Libraries from the gear icon in the Resource Manger.

And to reiterate, while the concepts are the same, all of my recent experiece is in VW2023 and VW2022. VW2017 is very old and there have probably been many changes since I last used it.

HTH

Thanks for the response Pat. I'm working with the 2021 version of Vectorworks on Windows 10. I believe I follow what you are saying but am not having success with it. Let me try to simplify things for myself. Right now if I go in the text - format text menu I get a dropdown of Text Styles to choose from. The standard Callouts 10 pt, Dimensions 12 pt, etc. In this dropdown there is a custom text style I created and would like to remove. I can't seem to find anything on it within the Resource Manager. I've opened the text styles file from the Resource Manager into an explorer window only see the standard Text Styles. I did create a second custom text style which is stored in the User Libraries. It is the only one there however, no sign of the one I wish to remove. I did close and open Vectorworks throughout this process to allow libraries to refresh.

It could be in any VWX file stored in any of the three (App, Workgroup, User) folder paths for Defaults.

If we can't find it in the Resource Manager the only other way I know of would be a manual search of all three file paths.

In the RM make sure you have all of the file locations selected. In the following screen shot I have Favorites deselected. Left to right they are Application (Vectorworks Libraries), Workgroup, User, Favorites, and Premium (Service Select) Libraries.

image.png.67765c4d4113289cfdbb4b07e5aad3c6.png

With all of them selected, use the search bar to search for the name (or part of the name) of the resource you don't want. It should give you a list of all the items. If it is there, then right click on it and choose Select Resource Location. You should then see in the left hand column where the resource is located. You should then be able to right click on that file and choose Open.  Back to the resource manager in that file and delete the resource and save the file.

I know that the search functions have improved, but I think they were ok in 2021.

HTH

Pat,

I appreciate your guidance here. I was finally able to locate and delete the custom text style I created. I'm not 100% sure I completely understand what I did though lol. What I think I did was create the text style within the format text window. This created my custom text style directly within the Text Styles.vwx file via the App folder path. In my attempts to delete it I was searching for a separate file. In my confusion I never realized that the individual styles are listed in the resource manager while the Text Styles.vwx file was selected. I had opened it at one point but did not see the custom style visually represented in the file. I assumed it would have "shown up" and was not there.

Early today I created a custom title block which I saved into the User Libraries. I am going to attempt to create another text style as well to get a better idea of what I did before. It seems to me that I may be able to create a new text style directly within the Text Styles.vwx file or create a completely separate file as well. I could also be wrong, we will see. Again, thank you.

Edit: Another note I found important is that in order to delete the text style/resource from the resource manager, the file it is stored in has to be open in vectorworks. For example, if the Text Styles.vwx file is selected in the resource manager the styles saved will be listed. Callouts 10 pt, Dimensions 10 pt, etc. This is where my custom text file was saved. Without the file open in Vectorworks you cannot delete any styles from the manager. Simple having the style selected and hitting "delete" on the keyboard doesn't do anything. Once the file is open in Vectorworks and you hit "delete" you will be prompted to make sure that you want to.

Edited by Mike Moran
  • Like 1

All Resources (including Text Styles and Title Block Styles) are stored in regular VWX files. Those files just have to be stored in the correct location so the tools know where to look for them.

If you are doing custom things for yourself you are probably best off storing them in your user folder. If you need to share them with co-workers store them in the Workgroup folder. The Workgroup Folder can be on a shared network if you are all together or on a syncing service like Dropbox if you are working remote. Just make sure that you have those files set to sync to the local computer rather than be set to "online only" or something like that. They delay in accessing them from the cloud will cause issues.

Finally, it is best to not store your custom content in the Application Folder. If you need to reinstall VW and forget to "salvage" your custom stuff first, it will be overwritten. If VW decides they need to change that file in a future update it will overwrite your custom stuff. It does not happen often, but it can happen. Personal library files in the User Folder or Workgroup Folder are better choices for Shared content that you want as "defaults".  If you don't need something to show up as a style for a tool or as a default option you can just store it in a library file that you add to your Favorites in the Resource Manager for easy access.

Pat,

While I have you here. Is it possible to create custom dimension standards as resources/files accessible via the resource manager? I see how I can import custom standards from file to file. I was hoping there was way to create a standard that would be readily available, perhaps via the resource manager. It would seem a bit frustrating to "remember" which past projects had the certain custom dimension standards if one wished to re-use them. I guess an alternative would be to create separate files with each custom dimension standard one would want to re-use. Then save the files in a convenient location such as a folder on the desktop.

@Tom W. has the best option for now.  Dimension Standards are not currently resources as of VW2023.  Hopefully at some point in the future they will be.

So either add the standards to your template file or a library file.  The down side to this is that you have to open than file and Import the standard rather then being able to Export from the Resource Manager.

• Like 1