Bug Report - Circuit geometry is selected when cursor is not over geometry causing other items to not be selectable

alexmootv

I am running into a bug where devices and circuits become unselectable, because the hit box for circuit geometry is extending well past the line. In the screenshot below you can see where my cursor is with the blue cursor I drew in after taking the screenshot. By clicking in that area, it selects the circuit line that is encapsulating the cursor. It then makes it impossible to select the nearby devices that I have circled in blue. This is happing throughout the entire drawing set to the point where I will have to scrap the entire file and start over from a new file. This Vectorworks file was a copy of another Vectorworks file that has since been expanded on. The original file does not show these symptoms, but the copied file (the one I will actually be using) does.

@Conrad PreenAny ideas or workarounds? Have others experienced this?

58620459_VWXCircuitGeometryBug.thumb.PNG.d83064d53a5f7746d34a6828708d12dc.PNG

Thanks,

Alex

I've found a workaround of sorts, but the bug is still present. By selecting all of the circuits and from the right click menu pressing "send to back" does allow me to at least select the devices I need, but the overly large hitbox of the circuits is still present. This workaround only works, until I add a new circuit line and then the nearby devices and circuits are no longer selectable, until that new circuit is then also sent to the back. This is the only file I have exhibiting the overly large hitbox issue.

By hitbox I am referring to the area used in programming for collision detection and selection of an object.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision_detection

Thanks,

Alex

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @alexmootv,

I have tried reproducing this and I am not seeing it. It could be some file specific setting or some VW preference that makes this happen. Have you tried copying the objects to another file and seeing if the same problem persists?

If you can share the file that is showing this issue I can try to find out what is causing it.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 2

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov Thank you for your reply. I did try copying everything into a new file and this fixed the problem for a few days. As of today, the bug cropped back up again. In addition, I now also experience a bug where any connection made from 2 devices with right facing sockets that are IO type now appear with one end of the circuits text labels upside down.

How can I send you the file to have a look? And is this something that is possible for you to repair the file and send back to me? Copying all of these design layers into new files is turning into a huge time sink.

Thanks,

Alex

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
12 hours ago, alexmootv said:

How can I send you the file to have a look? And is this something that is possible for you to repair the file and send back to me? Copying all of these design layers into new files is turning into a huge time sink.

You can private message me the file or a link to it. Then I will be able to check what is going on and if I find out what is the issue I will be able to give you directions how to fix it, if possible.