Different line thickness of slabs in section and plan

Flippps

Hello community!

I am getting started with Vectorworks 3D/BIM right now. I'm having trouble with the representation of slabs in plan/section.

What I want is that slabs are shown with a fine line weight in my plan and in a heavy one in my section when cut.

It seems that this works well with other objects like columns. They are shown in a fine line weight when viewed on as "elevation" in a section and a heavy line weight in plan view when they are cut. In my section viewport, I'm using "Use Attributes of Original Objects" in Advanced Properties>Attributes, so I can better control the representation of my objects.

Did someone have a similar problem or knows a workaround for this problem.

Thank you a lot in advance!

Create a class named Slab.
Set the line weight to be .18

Tick the option for “use at creation” 

select your slab and change its class to the new class Slab

choose yes when asked about assigning the new class options to existing objects.

now, in plan, your slab should have a line weight of .18

next, select the section viewport, then select Classes in the object info palette. 
double click the slab class and now you can override the class appearance in this viewport only. 

The key to making this work is that the slab object must be on a class that is set to use at creation, and the slab must not have any overrides applied to it via the Attributes palette. 

I like to use a grey solid fill in the plan views, then override with a concrete hatch in the section VP

I don't think you can have a Class named Slab and Slab objects in the same file.

Slabs, Slab Class, My Slab would all be valid names for the class.

If you have a slab object already in the file, it will not let you name the Class Slab.

If you name a class Slab and then try to insert a Slab object is will not let you create the object.

It is doing exactly what it is supposed to do, but not what you want it to do. The difference is between the 2D and 3D views of a hybrid object.

Duplicate your Plan viewport and set it to a Front view and update it.  You will get both boxes showing thin lines which is what the 3D portion of the slabs is set to show.

You are getting the thick line on the Section because you have the Section Viewport set to use the attributes of the Section Style class to show the section plane profile of the objects.

image.png.75fc1302ec9d85a050b0e7320deaaa20.png

Change the settings in Advanced Section Properties to be Separate Cross Sections and Use Attributes of original objects. Update the section viewport. You will now get both slabs showing in the section at the same thin line weight. You changed the left slab to use a thick line weight, but you did not change the component. It Is still set to use the thin Class line weight. Look at any view other than Top/Plan and you will see that the lines are thin.

Change the Class attributes or the Component attributes to be a thick line weight and you will get what you are expecting.

The Section Viewport can only show what you have set for the 3D portion of the hybrid object.

HTH. Ask again if I need to explain it differently.