Warning: Dropbox update to updated macOS File Provider API doesn't currently support LAN sync

Something to bear in mind if you're using Dropbox for file sync with Vectorworks.

The update Dropbox is pushing out (which moves your folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage) to bring their application into line Apple's updated File Provider API does not currently support LAN Sync:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

Edited by Christiaan
1 hour ago, JuanP said:

@ChristiaanThis is a significant change from Dropbox. We will be testing and adapting as needed. Our team downloaded the latest beta build of Dropbox, and we haven't seen this change yet. We hope to see a new beta release with the recent changes soon to start our testing.

They seem to be rolling out this change gradually. I got an update link but my work colleague hasn't yet.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

They seem to be rolling out this change gradually. I got an update link but my work colleague hasn't yet.

Does your update link include the aforementioned changes? Could you please send the link to me privately? Thanks

Wow, the 'new' Dropbox suuuuucks.

I'm using MacOS 13.2 on a new M2 machine, and it did that thing where Dropbox is now required to be within the list of "Locations" as opposed to being in your username folder. But I'm finding that they've changed the implementation of the various sync icons, and not only is the new UE more convoluted, but the icons simply don't work properly. I have files that have a green checkmark AND a cloud icon at the same time. And using the contextual commands to determine whether folders are online or local doesn't work reliably.

It's almost impossible to tell what's local and what's on the cloud. I've been a loyal Dropbox customer for over a decade, but this simply isn't acceptable. What a mess...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Christiaan changed the title to Warning: Dropbox update to updated macOS File Provider API doesn't currently support LAN sync
1 hour ago, Christiaan said:

Yeah I think anybody using Vectorworks Project Sharing with Dropbox should delay this update for as long as they can.

Fixed it for you.

Too late here.

I just let last few Dropbox App updates through on the nod.

I could live with the hidden Folder path.

But everything complex extras they showed in their latest FAQs was ....

I did not even wanted to look into their new privacy and data spreading

details anymore.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, tdiamond said:

Now that VCS provides LAN syncing (I believe for files over 200MB), is this something that any of you would consider?

I hadn't spotted that update, thanks for that. Despite asking for it some time ago, this particular feature isn't of any use to me for the moment because we never returned to an office after the pandemic. 

But I'm going to give VCS project sharing another go. It's been a while since I last tried. One little complication is that in doing so we'll be splitting up our files between two file sync providers. One advantage Dropbox/OneDrive/Resilio etc. still have over VCS is that they're general file sync services, so everything is in one place.

• Like 1

In my past life, we were in the same boat. While it is nice to have everything in the one place, I saw it as one extra level of redundancy, as you can always save the .vwxp file back to Dropbox as a .vwx at regular intervals.

Am keen to see how you go with it. VCS and Project Sharing has certainly improved a lot over the last couple of years.

• Like 1
On 2/8/2023 at 11:42 AM, Christiaan said:

One advantage Dropbox/OneDrive/Resilio etc. still have over VCS is that they're general file sync services, so everything is in one place.

VCS is designed to be general file sync service. It has some additional checks and features targeted towards .vwx(p/w) files. Is there some blocking feature that prevents using VCS as general file storage?

1 hour ago, Lyuben said:

VCS is designed to be general file sync service. It has some additional checks and features targeted towards .vwx(p/w) files. Is there some blocking feature that prevents using VCS as general file storage?

• Our file storage is 1.5 TB
  • Resilio, our current file sync service, is difficult to compete with with on security grounds, given that it's a completely different model; we don't store files on anybody's computers but our own.
  • Like 1