Enhanced Visualization Window

BartHays

Question

I would love to see the Visualization window updated to include more information on each light. for example: Brightness, Beam spread, Falloff type / Emitter parameters.

Furthermore, if we could add the filtering and nesting like Classes so we could control groups of lights (rooms) etc

Bart

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

I agree that the the Visualization Palette should be customizable to include everything you mention...including setting the falloff distance (which cannot be set at all right now). It's probably a different "wish," but I'd like to be able to put gobos into the lights as well as "barn door" shaders. The lights themselves are hideously hard to manipulate, but that certainly is a different wish! By the way, the "default light" you mention might be the same as the "ambient light" setting, which can be turned off. I never use ambient light for the very reason that it seems to shine over the entire scene. Just a guess.

Thanks,

MHBrown

33 minutes ago, MGuilfoile said:

By the way, the "default light" you mention might be the same as the "ambient light" setting, which can be turned off. I never use ambient light for the very reason that it seems to shine over the entire scene.

No, these are two different things. The "Default Light" is a literal Light that exists over the viewer's shoulder, but only when no other lights exist in the scene, and which cannot be interacted with by the user in any way.

The Ambient Brightness (the slider under Lighting Options) is an omnipresent surface illumination that exists regardless of Lights. You're right that it sort of artificially illuminates an entire scene. It's good for working on a model, but not great for realistic renders. I believe the default value is 35%. For renders I recommend 0-5%.

• Like 1