Loft surface from nurbs curve

ben@gibson.co.nz

Question

9 answers to this question

How did you convert your NURBS curves?

When I try with your curves I get the same circular loft.

When I make a similar shape to yours starting with a 2D polygon and then convert that to a NURBS  and loft those, then it works.

Your original curves loft is you draw a connection curve between the two curves and then loft using the 3rd mode of the loft tool, Birail Sweep.

I traced over your curve using the Besier mode of the 2D Polyline tool and ended up with a curve with 20 vertices. I then converted that to NURBS and it ended up as a second degree NURBS curve with 20 vertices. Duplicated and lofted in the first mode and it worked fine.

I converted your curves from 3rd degree to 2nd degree just by changing the number in the OIP from 3 to 2. They then lofted correctly.

When I converted my simplified  curves to 3rd degree I got the same circular loft you are getting.

I don't have time to figure out what the difference is between 2nd and 3rd degree curves and why that effects lofts right now, but I hope this helps you get what you need out of this.

Convert to 2nd Degree and move one.

• Like 1

@ben@gibson.co.nz

I get same cylindrical loft in your test.vwx file.  I wonder if problem is the file itself rather than those curves?

Anyway I tested several ways:

• Deleted all other objects. Moved curves to origin, etc -  No joy with Loft no Rail.
  • New NURBS curves of similar shape, same location, or if moved close to drawing origin produce the same result in that file.

I did make a proper loft in that file by converting the NURBS to 3d Polys, then convert those to NURBS.

Best result, though . . . Copy/Paste in Place the two NURBS curves and into a new blank vwx file. They loft as expected.

Loft mystery!

-B