Setting up a drawing in vectorworks

mode1

Question

We have been using Vectorworks for a while, but have found that the way we set up our drawings is not as efficient as it could be. One of the issues is the number of classes we have (ie too many). We would like to know if you could give us a few pointers on an efficient set up for a drawing of a medium sized refurbishment building. When I was taught how to use AutoCAD, we were given some basic rules, such as using colours to signify pen thicknesses, and limiting the number of colours that are used in a drawing etc. We were also wondering if there was some way to link plans. That is linking ground floor plans to first floor plans so that if the wall thickness on the ground floor changes it will change on the next floor (preferably without making it a 3d drawing).

4 answers to this question

THere are 2 default classes created in a file before anything is done. The dimension and none class. These two classes cannot be deleted.

Otherwise, the other classes that are created are done so when inserting symbols.

There is a "non-class" folder in the Obj Libraries folder which has all the symbols without the predetermined class assignment. When using these symbols, they will be created in the current active class.

If you find yourself having classes that are empty, you can use the purge objects command to get rid of miscellaneous classes, symbols, records, hatches, etc.

If you need more information, please be more specific with what you are looking for and in need of.

As a previous AutoCAD User and recent VW convert I posted the same query in june about linking drawings like you can with xrefs in autoCAD. Very helpfully a guy called Giovanni expalined how to use workgroup references which are effectively the same as xrefs. i will now attempt to do the same for you:

1. Set up two drawing files called plan 1 and plan 2

2. in plan 1 set up a layer called house and a class called walls and draw a rectangle using that layer and class. save drawing.

3. open plan 2. under the organise drop down menu click workgroup references. click new and browse and select plan 1.

4. select the layer that you want in dialogue box that appears ie. house

5. click ok and done.

6. if you now go to your layers area in plan 2 you will see a layer in itallics called house. this is the "xrefed" plan.

it is best at this point i find to make this layer invisible to stop you changing it in the current plan.

7. while still in plan 2.create a new layer called xref set the scale and make active.

go to the view pull down menu and select create layer link.

8. when the dialogue box appears select the house layer and make sure to click the project 2d objects box.

9. you will now see the rectangle appear on the layer. save this drawing.

10. go back to plan 1 and make a change ie. draw something else on the house layer and save.

go to plan 2 and open workgroup referencing again and click update from all.

11. you should see the change reflected on this plan.

there you go .i made this sound far more complicated than it actually is. it is simple once you start using it.

good luck

BAZ

in addition to my previous post there are a few things i should add:

1. the layer link can be duplicated, mirrored erased etc. but needs to be unlocked before this is done.

2. the xref cannot to my knowledge be clipped which is a pain but this can be over come in a very basic way by grouping the layer link and blanking out any areas that you dont want to show in the group.

3. you will find while using this feature that you need to use more layers rather than classes.

If i think of any other pros and cons i will post them. let me know how you get on or if you have anyfurther problems.