How do you do your Door Elevations sheet?

Ramon PG

How soon are you going to VW2023?  If soon, then just stick to the old way for now and then learn Graphic Legends in VW2023.  If you are going to do another 5+ projects in VW2022 then it is probably worth learning about images in worksheets.

If you are doing images in worksheets, just just with the default version and edit the column to suit your needs.

Toos:Reports:Create Report

At the top of the Dialog box choose Reformatted Reports

In the selection list choose Door Schedule with Images.

The above should get you the basics that you need.

Ask again if you need more help.

• Like 1

I make a design layer for specialty elevations such as this and mock up things like different exterior wall heights, tree height relationships, or in a building… doors and windows inserted into a wall.  Viewport to display.

I put them on a different design layer so I can exclude the objects from being counted and turn them off in certain viewports.  It also becomes a place to visually compare object styles side by side for easy editing.

I go to the trouble of mocking these things up because it can convey far more vital information than an image in a schedule and maintains a 3D workflow instead of 2D illustration.  With all the drama around images in worksheets and these new graphic legends, it’s a reliable method that saves time in the long run.

• Like 1

I would concur with @jeff prince

Set up a elevational viewport of the doors placed in a design layer.

Easy, controllable, graphically better.

It all depends on what you expect though.

Our schedules show the door in plan, section, and elevation, plus detail on a separate sheet to the tabulated schedule detailing size, location, type, etc, so images on a worksheet would never be used.  We need to export the drawing of the door as DWG too.  Never tried to export a DWG containing a sheet with images but I suspect it won't.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

How soon are you going to VW2023?  If soon, then just stick to the old way for now and then learn Graphic Legends in VW2023.  If you are going to do another 5+ projects in VW2022 then it is probably worth learning about images in worksheets.

If you are doing images in worksheets, just just with the default version and edit the column to suit your needs.

Toos:Reports:Create Report

At the top of the Dialog box choose Reformatted Reports

In the selection list choose Door Schedule with Images.

The above should get you the basics that you need.

Ask again if you need more help.

Ironically I do have 2023 but my employer doesn't, so I am partially stuck with 2022.

I am working with the schedule with images, instaed of the Design Layer collection of doors, as I've been doing for ages... but decided this time to do a Sumarized one with the images as the whole schedule is like almost 200 doors big. It's giving me acceptable results and I might go with that.

Thanks for the reply.

3 hours ago, shorter said:

I would concur with @jeff prince

Set up a elevational viewport of the doors placed in a design layer.

Easy, controllable, graphically better.

It all depends on what you expect though.

Our schedules show the door in plan, section, and elevation, plus detail on a separate sheet to the tabulated schedule detailing size, location, type, etc, so images on a worksheet would never be used.  We need to export the drawing of the door as DWG too.  Never tried to export a DWG containing a sheet with images but I suspect it won't.

Thanks Jeff and Shorter for the input. I used to do it like that but, I had to jump between Design layer and the Sheet layer too often . Do you have the Door Schedule and misc. door notes also in the Design Layer?

4 minutes ago, Ramon PG said:

Thanks Jeff and Shorter for the input. I used to do it like that but, I had to jump between Design layer and the Sheet layer too often . Do you have the Door Schedule and misc. door notes also in the Design Layer?

Nope, I put schedules and notes on sheet layers, annotations in viewport annotations.

• Like 1