VW Architect SP3 Crashing after printing

Dubman

Question

I've just done my first project with the new 2023 VW SP3 and when printing D size prints to my HP T120 thru USB connection VW crashes & closes after printing. This happened for both of the 2 sheets in the set of drawing. Both prints printed completely and file still good when re-opening VW.

Any suggestion?

13 answers to this question

It printed fine from a PDF & SketchUp to my HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 by Wifi. About a week ago I printed D size to my HP T120 with USB cable from VW SP2 with no problems. So far it is only happening to VW with the new service pack. I have sent a crash dump file to VW support & waiting on their response.

I ran the VW Updater like you suggested & it said it repaired one file, I restarted the computer & tried printing again with same results. This time I noticed the VW spinning wheel just before the crash, & the crash happens before the VW print dialog window closes.

Both printer drivers are up to date.

Thank you for the suggestion!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 hours ago, Dubman said:

It printed fine from a PDF & SketchUp to my HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 by Wifi. About a week ago I printed D size to my HP T120 with USB cable from VW SP2 with no problems. So far it is only happening to VW with the new service pack. I have sent a crash dump file to VW support & waiting on their response.

I ran the VW Updater like you suggested & it said it repaired one file, I restarted the computer & tried printing again with same results. This time I noticed the VW spinning wheel just before the crash, & the crash happens before the VW print dialog window closes.

Both printer drivers are up to date.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Hi Dubman,

Are you using macOS Ventura?  We have been investigating an issue that some users are seeing in some files on Ventura where printing, page setup and setting the paper size can occasionally crash.  We are also working with Apple where they identified another issue in the print dialog that they are preparing a fix for in an upcoming OS update.

A workaround that we have found is that clearing the print settings before printing can stop the crash from occurring.  Please see the attached script to try and let me know what OS you are using.

Thanks!

Clear Print Settings.txt

This is my work computer:

Windows 10 Pro,  AMD Ryzen (TM) Threadripper 1950X (16 Core, 40MB Cache, overclocked up to 3.6Ghz on all cores),

NVIDIA Quadro Pascal GP100 3584 CUDA Cores 16 GB HBM2

Memory 32.0 GB Dual Channel HyperX (TM) DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

1 TB M.2 PCle SSD - VW Arch & RW 2023 SP3 - since MiniCad 7 pc  

BenQ monitor GW2750H Res. @ 1920x1080@ 60Mhz & BenQ GW2760 @ 1920x1080@60Mhz

I do have another computer I will try printing from VW SP3 this morning & reply with results

Thanks!

My home office computer with VW SP3 printed the same file to my HP T120 thru USB cable with no problems, no crashing.

So I am going to un install the printer drivers & re-install them & see what happens.

My home office computer build

Windows 10 Pro

Intel i7-3770 cpu 3.40GHz

32.0 GB installed memory

64 bit Operating System

NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITIAN Black

HP ZR24w Wide LCD (main) & HP 22eb monitors

VW & RW 2023 SP3 64 bit

Edited by Dubman
  • Like 1

Well I've un-installed the T120 printer driver & everything I could find in the registry for the T120 & re-installed the printer, rebooted the computer, opened VW to same file & same thing, VW crashes. Go figure 

Now I have re-installed the printer driver from a downloaded HP driver installer app, this one installed the latest driver instead of Microsoft installing the previous version. Same results, VW crashing.

Is there a way to put VW back to SP2 with out re-installing VW?

Edited by Dubman
update

Unfortunately Pat the downloader option only lets me download the 32 bit version of SP2 & doesn't look like it gives me the option. I think odd was I anciently selected the repair option & it said the same thing, found & repair one file just like the first time I tried it.

I give up for today & will see what happens tomorrow with the computers.

Thanks!

Update - completely uninstalled Vectorworks even every VW 2023 in the registry. Then downloaded the latest version & installed. Right after installing I opened a file & printed to my HP 7740 by Wifi. This time it made it thru the full printing & the curser turned to the busy curser, then back to normal. but the print dialog window was still open. So I clicked into a blank area of the screen & Crash! No warning just closes fast. 

Before re-installing I tried printing from an older file & got same result, crash.

Go figure, I've just got a contract job that will last 8 months & hoping I can get this resolved before I start.

So far no reply from Service Select

Update - every time I run the VW installer repair for SP2 it keeps installing the 32 bit version & my computer is 64 bit, so not an option. Then I found in my download folder VW 2023 SP1 from my other computer, copied it into this computer, installed, same crash results.

Then I opened VW 2022 SP5 and it prints fine to both printers, so with my office computer I'll need to use VW 2022 instead of the 2023 version.

Edited by Dubman

Update, today I started working at a production office with everything the same with this computer. Using their Wifi & printer, same crashing happens with VW SP3.

So I'll have to use VW 2022 until I can figure something out. VW 2022 SP6 prints with out crashing.

Have not gotten any replay from the 2 service select Support request forms sent.