Set the caret to the custom distance box upon opening preferences

Ian-DO

Question

In past versions the text indicator/caret would automatically appear in the 'set custom distance' text box to allow text input automatically. Since vw2022 this has required an extra click which seems pointless as no other text boxes are within the dialogue box. We use this feature often to set custom nudges (which change throughout the day) instead of using the more cumbersome move tool in a lot of instances and it would be extremely helpful for it to revert to what it was and accessible through keyboard shortcuts only. 

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 09.53.15.png

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Ian-DO said:

In past versions the text indicator/caret would automatically appear in the 'set custom distance' text box to allow text input automatically. Since vw2022 this has required an extra click which seems pointless as no other text boxes are within the dialogue box. We use this feature often to set custom nudges (which change throughout the day) instead of using the more cumbersome move tool in a lot of instances and it would be extremely helpful for it to revert to what it was and accessible through keyboard shortcuts only. 

Hi Ian, 

Thanks for pointing this out.  We will investigate and see what is going on.

These kinds of small things may seem minor, but they can be big annoyances to users.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Here is a section of a post from a different discussion about the same thing. Perhaps making a few very simple scripts with the different snap settings you need would eliminate the need to open the preference dialog box and be an even better solution.

The following one line script will toggle between Nudging by the Snap Grid and Nudging by the Custom Move Distance. I think you have to set and use the Custom Move option before the setting will be locked in and usable by this script.

SetPref(136, Not( GetPref(136)));

SetPref(136, Not( GetPref(136)));

And this one will set the Custom Move Distance to 50cm.  Change the distance as necessary.

SetPrefReal(89, 50cm);

You can make these into PIO Commands and add them to your workspace if you want to assign a shortcut to them.

I have also posted instructions on how to make a PIO menu command out of scripts like the above. Search for posts by me that contain SST-Make a PIO Menu Command

Or you could make a more sophisticated script that would automatically open a dialog box and ask for the setting you want.

Ian Lane

While we are on the subject, I find the Text Field / Search ability in newer versions of VW_RW to be extremely smooth & efficient. 

Example: find & change a class or replace a texture through the OIP. As Ian-DO stated, the text indicator/caret  is there waiting, vs the need to click the cursor first.

This would be idea in all such locations for efficiency. Always where there is only one option for text.  Please Check ... The Organization Palette

Thanks

Peter

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Here is a section of a post from a different discussion about the same thing. Perhaps making a few very simple scripts with the different snap settings you need would eliminate the need to open the preference dialog box and be an even better solution.

I have also posted instructions on how to make a PIO menu command out of scripts like the above. Search for posts by me that contain SST-Make a PIO Menu Command

Or you could make a more sophisticated script that would automatically open a dialog box and ask for the setting you want.

Hi Pat, 

Thanks for your suggestion - sounds helpful however the desired move distance changes for me about 10 times daily depending on what project I am working on etc and find it to be faster through keyboard entries than mouse movements with the move tool for very small shifts. Will investigate this script further to see if it can be used in my workflow but would also like the older setting to be restored on the newer version! 

Thanks 

As @Sam Jones has quoted before, (I don't remember where from), something like "to make a tool easier to use provide less options. To make a tool more powerful provide more options."

VW has to balance the ease of use versus the power and therefore some things get hidden as most new users would not need them. But VW has a huge amount of power available to enhance specific tasks if you know where to look.