Site Model and Grade Limits -- Why does the grade limit affect the underlying existing data?

twk

Question

I am experiencing an issue with Site Models where the underlying existing site data is being altered to meet the grade limit boundaries, when the Site Model picks up modifiers (The Grade Limit is set to affect Proposed only).

The Site Model is on its own design layer, the Site Modifiers are on a separate layer, and all the modifiers are set to affect the proposed site only.

The grade limit is also on the same layer as the Site Model.

Can anyone provide assistance to resolve this problem? Is it a known bug? Tagging the experts here 😄 @Tamsin Slatter @bgoff @Pat Stanford

17 answers to this question

@twkHi I find that site modifiers affects all and any site model that sit over them. I think i made a separate design layer for separate site models or exploded one or made a snapshot.

Not sure if this is the issue you are having problem with?

I also put the site modifiers that relate the the site on the same design layer.

HTH

Sep Design Layers.jpg

Single Design Layer_01.jpg

Single Design Layer.jpg

Edited by AlanW
21 hours ago, AlanW said:

Hi I find that site modifiers affects all and any site model that sit over them. I think i made a separate design layer for separate site models or exploded one or made a snapshot.

Thanks @AlanW, thats what I've done. 

1 hour ago, P Retondo said:

What is the nature of your existing data?  3d points, 3d polys, stakes?

They are made up of 3d loci's and 3D Polygons

The issue I'm having is that the grade limit is set to Apply To:Proposed Only. However when I view the Site Model in 3D Existing, its showing the Site being affected still by this grade limit.

40 minutes ago, twk said:

The issue I'm having is that the grade limit is set to Apply To:Proposed Only. However when I view the Site Model in 3D Existing, its showing the Site being affected still by this grade limit.

So, you are saying the underlying data is being modified by the existence of a grading limit.  Are you just inferring that from the "existing" site model results, or do you actually observe modification of the 3d loci and polygons?

Not the underlying data within the site model. those stay the same if I go into the site model data. What I'm seeing is that when I change the Site Model "Display" either in 2D or 3D, and set the "Display" to be "Existing" it is showing the Existing contours altered

I have had similar problems when using 3d polys as the basis for a site model, where rational topography failed to convert to a model properly at the boundary of the model (not a grading limit issue, per se).  I have not experienced similar problems when using stake objects to create topography, so one possible work around might be to distribute some stake objects (or possibly 3d loci) along your contours, and see if a model generated from those objects doesn't behave more properly.

Site model tool definitely needs some work.  Whether VW engineers will be allowed to spend time on that seems, unfortunately, like many other tools for architects, to be an MBA level decision.