2018 dwg export, general bizzareness and .vwx increase in size by 200Mb

So I went to export the design layers & sheet layers (to dwg) from a .vwx, and selected to export layers as separate files. My vwx file is 445Mb, and the file has no references. I'm running vw2018 landmark on win 64.

I did the design and sheet export as separate processes as have had problems with this before. Design space export was pretty much what I expected, one .dwg file per layer, some .pat & .ctb files, and a stack of bitmaps, all .png which is kind of annoying, but overall pretty much what I expected and about 250Mb. 

Exporting the sheets ... I killed process after half an hour as it had got 40% through and filled a folder with 7.6Gb of of mostly.png files {oi seemed to be working thru the sheets as it had created eight .dwg's}. All images are duplicated multiple times. Most bizzarely my .wvx file grew to 660Mb, and stayed that size after save. I haven't been able to find out what the extra nearly 200Mb is and fortunately I had a backup. I suppose I'm writing this as wa rning to others of what looks like a serious bug.