replacing symbols from workgroup libraries

I think they will be only found when using the VW Default Libraries Structure

in your Workgroup Folder, as it exists in VW App or User Folder.

And AFAIK I even think, only when residing in Library/Defaults/ .... and in one

of the typical Folders where Symbols are included.

At least, my only Symbols in my Workgroup Folder, which sit in top level Folders,

do not show up and this way I have no option to expand or navigate any Folders.

Workgroup shows just as being empty.

Maybe this behavior is good for PIO resources, e.g. showing only door hardware

Symbols in the Door Tool and such.

For Standard Symbols it may not make that much sense.

And if I get that right, RM "Search from replace Symbol "will also not find them ....

If it is just a symbol, then you will need to put the file in Favorites and access it from the Favorites.

If it is a Style they you are trying to change then @Zoomer is correct that items need to be in the correct folder structure to be seen.

2 hours ago, zoomer said:

And AFAIK I even think, only when residing in Library/Defaults/ .... and in one

of the typical Folders where Symbols are included.

But the path is:

[Application or User or Workgroup Folder]:Libraries:

From there it depends on the type of object where the VW file should go. I recommend looking in the Application folder to see which folders are being pulled from:

Annotations

Attributes

Building

ConnectCAD

Defaults

Entertainment

Interior

MEP

Plants

Site

Visualization

It is just symbols that I am trying to replace.  It seems odd that what shows up in the resource manager doesn't also show up in the "Choose Symbol to replace with:" selector (which looks just like the resource manager except for the missing workgroup libraries).  Having to put these shared symbol libraries back in Favorites seems like a step backwards.  I moved them to Workgroup Libraries to avoid having to update favorite libraries in everyone's individual user folders every time I add or modify a symbol in one of our symbol libraries.  

Is there a way for our designers to pull symbols from the same Favorites folder so I only have to maintain one copy so everyone automatically has access to the latest iteration?

Screenshot 2023-01-22 220306.jpg

3 hours ago, exhibitdesigner said:

Having to put these shared symbol libraries back in Favorites seems like a step backwards. 

There is a favorite folder in the workgroup folder to...

If you follow that method https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/page/view.php?id=1354 the workgroup folder has the same structure as user folder , so each file you save ine the workgroup/favorite appear in the favorite shortcut in the RM 😉 

Edited by Ben59
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@exhibitdesigner
From the image you posted above you're not using the standard folder structure for a workgroup or user library,
If you move your custom library files into one of the existing library folders (such as Entertainment-Event) and then run the 'Refresh Libraries' command in the resource manager, they should become available to the resource selector of the replace symbol dialogue