applying texture by face

Ride

Can someone please explain how to apply a texture to a face of an object? For the life of me, I cannot get the grain directions in wood textures to represent what I actually want. In some cases, changing the rotation of the texture does absolutely nothing on one object, but works on another. It doesn't make any sense to me. Below is a screenshot of a bunkbed that I'm trying to model, but I need to get the grain directions right so I can provide this with my shop drawings.

Any help appreciated. 

1093320020_ScreenShot2023-01-20at09_47_54.png

Are you using VW2021? In VW2022 the The Texture Tool was introduced which allows per face texturing which is brilliant. However you should still be able to rotate your textures on an object by object basis. On the offending object have you tried changing the Map Type? Checking 'Follow Longest Edge'?

I can get it to work part of the way. See attached screenshots. I'm trying to make the edge of the bottom plywood horizontal, but no matter what rotation I use for the texture, the plies of the plywood remain vertical. How do I force the edge to change orientation?

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 20.46.51.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 20.46.57.png

It's hard to tell from the screenshots exactly what's going on. In the Render tab you can select each of the overridden faces individually + edit their mapping. The selected face will highlight red. You seem to have the whole object selected. This is what you should see:

423529663_Screenshot2023-01-21at08_46_22.thumb.png.6c06ab05daeb4f5ce2ce4d4a84d5e760.png

Also sometimes like I said earlier I think I've had to switch from Surface UV to Auto-Align Plane + apply 'Follow Longest Edge' to get things looking right.

Maybe start again on a test object. Apply a plywood texture to the object itself then use the Texture Tool to override that texture with an end grain texture on the four edges + see if you get the same as in my screenshot. Or post the file.

The end grain texture I pilfered from a SketchUp file I have of construction details. The models aren't much use in VW for anything else other than harvesting textures!

Happy to share if you'd like it

Ok, I'll try again and post back soon. And yes if you would be willing to share the texture I would be grateful. I'm always trying to make my models more realistic. It helps when I put work on to the shop floor to have some accurate 3D perspectives of the final product. 

Ok I just started a new file with a new part, and its working fine now. I don't know what I was doing wrong before but glad it's working now. Thanks for the help. I clearly need to adjust my selection colours though, I can't tell which face is being highlighted which makes it difficult to know what is being changed. 

Again, thanks for the help. This has baffled me for some time now.

• Like 1

FYI

Also had issues when we upgraded to VW_RW 2022 - It often went into automatic APPLY TO FACE mode when that was not desired. 

As we already mapped textures to different faces based on geometry & need (How you render, is How you draw...)

Ended up deleting the tool from the workspace and that put an end to the problems / bugs.

One Question left unanswered: What is the easiest way to change from objects with existing Face Override to Texture Overall ?

Assistance is appreciated 

Peter

FYI

Also had issues when we upgraded to VW_RW 2022 - It often went into automatic APPLY TO FACE mode when that was not desired. 

As we already mapped textures to different faces based on geometry & need (How you render, is How you draw...)

Ended up deleting the tool from the workspace and that put an end to the problems / bugs.

One Question left unanswered: What is the easiest way to change from objects with existing Face Override to Texture Overall ?

(My original question Posted June 14, 2022)

Assistance is appreciated 

Peter