How do I create wrought iron railings?

jolo2881

jolo2881

Start with your selected image. Higher resolution to start with gives a better texture, though there is a happy medium between size and rendering.

Less complexity in the background of this image makes for an easier edit.

Clean up this Image of your desired rail / fence / pattern in a pixel editor. Pixelmator Pro does a great job of removing the background.

What you want to have left is the fence image with a mono color background. It could have the background in green screen or as an Alpha Channel.

These options work for the textures Trans Shader  - though I am not sure if one is better than the other - my example was a plain white background.

Save this file as a PNG

Create a texture  in VW_RW …with above file as the Color / Image (Shader)

Rotate the image (90 degree). Inside the Texture creation dialog / Edit Image Color panel (ie: so it appears on its side).

You will use this same image for the Transparency / Image Mask (Shader)

For the Transparency / Image Mask (Shader) select Reuse an Image from Another Resource / This Texture's Color and you have the same image for the Color & Trans Mask

Select the Transparent Color option (Or the Alpha Channel if that is available in the image file ...)

I usually push the Color Matching slider to the left / Mask Contrast to the right (You can always go back to these settings)

Check the Anti Alias option, also Infinite repetitions of the image.

Set the size to match the desired height of the fence.

I applied this texture to an extrude of zero thickness, arbitrary length, and the desired height, then rotated the applied texture, on the extrude, 90 degrees. Do this in the Object Info Dialog / Render Tab.

This is so the Texture Size is the same dimension as the height of the fence / height of the extrude, not the width. 

You are then able to alter the length of the fence by altering the extrusions length. (Infinite Repetitions of the Texture Image Shader)

Altering the stop / start point is facilitated in the Object Info Dialog / Render Tab, with the Offset V number (Not the Offset H as you may think)

Render in a RenderWorks Mode for the Trans Mask.

If there are white edges on the rendered texture, clean up the image some more, or add additional black to cover this artifact.

What you see in my example started as a screen shot of your FORUM posted image - cleaned up and used for the texture.

A quick clean up trick with any symmetrical item (as your fence example photo is ...) Work hard and clean up half the image, then mirror that half to make the whole image.

How you Render is How you Draw ...

Peter

1453139110_FenceRailingImageShader.vwx

• Like 2