Model loses texture information

Hi,

I have encountered this issue where all the models (except one) has lost their texture information. This includes the people (Vision objects), a textured cyc, venue textures, staging etc. The only thing that hasn't is a model that I imported from Sketchbook. I tried deleting the object layers and re-merging but this didn't fix it. The fix I found yesterday was to start a new Vision project and reimport all the layers. I experienced this issue yesterday, was able to fix by starting a new project and when I opened the file this morning I had the same issue.

Any idea why this is happening?

image.thumb.png.6455590a8da7f8b5e372a76f3a804f5b.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

One thing that is particularly odd, in my mind, is the default content from Vision such as the drummer. These textures should always exist on disk in the installation folder and if VIsion ever fails to find a texture inside of the VSN, it should reach out to disk and search the install folder for the appropriate drummer texture (which should, in theory, never fail as it should always be present). Furthermore, the default content such as the drummer doesn't really use any super advanced texturing or anything. So, I don't believe it should matter if the Texture Quality is set to Very Low, Low, Medium, High, or Very High. The drummer texturing should render regardless of that level.

Could you post your VSN file or send it via DM for us to take a look? Thanks!

On 1/19/2023 at 7:47 AM, bbudzon said:

One thing that is particularly odd, in my mind, is the default content from Vision such as the drummer. These textures should always exist on disk in the installation folder and if VIsion ever fails to find a texture inside of the VSN, it should reach out to disk and search the install folder for the appropriate drummer texture (which should, in theory, never fail as it should always be present). Furthermore, the default content such as the drummer doesn't really use any super advanced texturing or anything. So, I don't believe it should matter if the Texture Quality is set to Very Low, Low, Medium, High, or Very High. The drummer texturing should render regardless of that level.

Could you post your VSN file or send it via DM for us to take a look? Thanks!

@bbudzon I'm running into the same issue on my Mac running the latest build. I'm doing a Send To Vision from VW and then saving the MVR to VSN. When I reopen all my textures are lost.

• Like 1

I have some MVRs that were private messaged to me for testing. I'm going to try to reproduce the issue and debug it in the code. If I have trouble reproducing with their MVRs, I might ask for yours. Either way, I'll make sure to post updates here.

One possible workaround for you guys, @DBLDand @TVTechTyler, would be to save the file as a V3S instead of a VSN. This can be done by exporting to the "legacy" file format from the file menu.

Actually... this would be a really interesting test for you guys to perform. If it does not break when exporting to V3S but it does break when saving as a VSN, it might narrow things down in the code for me quite a bit.

• Like 1

It might also be worth asking if you guys are only running into this issue with "complex" files; meaning ones with many many textures. Do you find that importing MVR and saving a VSN works in the simpler cases where, say, they are only a dozen textures?

1 minute ago, bbudzon said:

It might also be worth asking if you guys are only running into this issue with "complex" files; meaning ones with many many textures. Do you find that importing MVR and saving a VSN works in the simpler cases where, say, they are only a dozen textures?

I'll have to build a test file.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TVTechTyler said:

I'll give this a try now. I was actually thinking of trying that.

I like the way you're thinking! 😅

Just now, TVTechTyler said:

I'll have to build a test file.

I'll make sure to run some more basic tests myself as well and also loop QA into this issue for additional testing. It's kind of good, in a weird way, that multiple people are experiencing this issue. Just means we are probably more likely to reproduce it in house. And, it's always easiest to fix a bug when you can step through the code line by line and watch it happen.

I did just see a similar thing. V3S works. VSN does not. This is probably a good sign that points to the bug being a little easier to fix, as this implies that Vision does still have the textures after loading the MVR. If the V3S failed, it might imply that we somehow failed to "record" the textures in RAM and thus failed to write them to disk. I'll have to pick up further investigations tomorrow.

It looks like VSN worked in 2023 SP1 but broke in 2023 SP2. I'm working on narrowing down the code change that caused the issue. You can continue using V3S or fallback to SP1 to work around this issue until we get it fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 3 weeks later...