Is it Possible to Have Multiple 3D Models Within a Hybrid Symbol?

JeremyAvery

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to have multiple 3D models within one hybrid symbol.  For example, I am modeling some outdoor lighting fixtures from FXLuminaire that have multiple style options (I have attached pictures of the 2D symbol I am using and the 3D models I would like to have within that symbol).  I would like to have all three of these models within the same hybrid symbol with the option to toggle between what model is visible when I am in a 3D view.  Is something like this possible or do I have to make a separate hybrid symbol for each of these models?

2D Symbol.png

3D Models.png

The easiest way would be to put each "model" in a separate class and use classes to determine what is visible.  But that basically means you have to have every lamp in the drawing all using the same version.

Simplest is to have three symbols and just use Replace Symbol when necessary.

Best way is probably to create a custom Marionette or Plug-in Object that will give you options in the OIP for which version to display.

The one you want will depend on how many different fixtures you want to do this to, how often you need to change between the different versions, and if you will want different versions in the same drawing in different places.

• Like 3

Thankyou for the quick response.  I'm just starting to learn Vectorworks 3D (it's a bit different then using google sketchup....).  I have a couple other questions that I would like to have answered too:

1. Is there a way to put a clipping plane into a hybrid symbol?  For example, I would like my well lights to automatically clip out sections of the wall they are attached to.  I am currently going into the model and manually cutting out a spot for the well light to be placed in.  I'm wanting this symbol to work like the door or window tool where it removes the section of the wall it is placed on.

2. Is it possible to create a hybrid symbol that can have both the 2D symbol and 3D model scale together when re-sized?  I'm specifically thinking of a strip light I use to under light wall coping.  The 2D symbol is a simple line that can be stretched to whatever length I need and the 3D model is a simple rectangle with an emissive material applied to it.  I'm wanting the the 3D model to stretch with the 2D symbol when I change the 2D symbol's length.

Well Light.png

Strip light.png

Yes.  VW is basically a solid modeler.  Sketchup is basically surface modeler.

1.  Edit the 3D part of the symbol.  Draw a solid that you would like to clip out of the wall.  Select the object. Cut.  (control X or Command X).  Right click on a blank spot on the screen.  Choose Edit 3D Wall Hole Component.  Edit > Paste in Place.

2.  In the OIP for the symbol instance, change Scaling from None to Symmetric or Asymmetric.  Then enter values for the scaling.

• Like 1

Yes. Adjust the model so that the insertion point is at the location where you want the light to match the surface of the wall.

The hybrid 2D/3D symbol will automatically cut the wall. If for some reasons you need a different cut, you can specify a different Wall Cut object as part of the symbol also.

If you specify Full Break, it will cut a whole all the way across the wall. If you specify Half Break it will only cut one side and leave the other side solid.