Alignment/Distribution ETC.

Tim Schultz

Question

I am brand new to Vectorworks. I have been using a much simpler software for many years called ClarisDraw. This software is out of print now but it sure had some nifty features that ought to be available in something as sophisticated as Vectorworks.

Alignment and distribution is MUCH simpler in this older software. These tools are driven with radio buttons on a tear off menu. You select your objects then just click to align or distribute. Vertical and horizontal directions are independently driven and do not become the default for your next alignment. This saves the step of having to deselect a vertical button if all you want is a horizontal change.

This tearoff menu also provided you the ability to make several objects the same size or width. I have not seen this feature anywhere in Vectorworks.

To be able to control relative position and dimension with one hand on a mouse is pretty cool.I would like to see this ability to VectorWorks.

Did I mention tearoff menus?It was also very groovy to change color or fill pattern without having to go back to the toolbar at each change.

So far I am very impressed with VectorWorks.I just wish it could so some of the things that have been available in other (simpler) software for many years.

Thank you.

1 answer to this question

In VW 9, you have the ability to align objects with an Align/Distribute, Align to Grid, and Align/Distribute 3D.

Select the objects you wish to align. Go to the Tool menu, then Align. You can then select the Align option you wish to execute.

If you select the Align/Distribute command, an Align/Distribute dialog box appears. The settings along the right side of the preview box allow you set the horizontal align/dsitribute settings. The options along the bottom of the preview box allow you to set the vertical align/distribute settings.