Saved sheets don't save title info.

Robert

Question

I can't save sheets with different info in a title block ( like page numbers, name, scale, etc.). I'd like to send a file to a print shop with several different sheets to be printed. I put sheet name, scale, date, page number, etc., into a title block on each sheet. When I change the info in the title block for a different sheet the change effects all saved sheets. How can I use a title block on each saved sheet and have the info it contains be sheet specific? My drawing border and title block are on one layer. The title block is a symbol.

Suggestions?

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert (edited 09-10-2001).]

3 answers to this question

Robert - There's a lot of ways to answer your question, but here's a rough description for the "top two".

1. Easiest method first (but it requires you have Architect installed versus just the VectorWorks foundation) Use the Set-Up Assistant to create your initial document. S.A. creates a Titleblock for each of your saved sheets and when you run the Issue Manager, it updates each of those titleblocks not only for the Sheet Number and Description but also a whole variety of other data that may vary by sheet. Changing the view to a different saved sheet works great because only the appropriate Titleblock will always be visible.

2. Alternate method can be used with VW or VWA. Create a "Titleblock" record format in the resource palette with fields for any text category that may change by Sheet (i.e. Sheet Number, Sheet Description, etc.) Then go to your existing Titleblock symbol and select (one at a time) each text block that fits into the category of the fields you just created. Select the menu command "Link Text..." and select the record format and field you want that text to get it's info from.After you've done that for each field, exit the symbol.

If you do not already have a seperate layer created for each of your "Saved Sheets", you'll need to do that now and place a copy of this symbol on each of those Sheets. To make the titleblock data appropriate, Select this symbol on a sheet and via the "Data" pane of the info palette, you can enter the info specific to that sheet. Repeat for each of the placed symbols.

Hope that helps.

------------------

Leslie Sigal Javorek

(president)

ELLIS JAY Inc.

Leslie,

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have VW Architect so that one won't apply to me but does sound the more elegant solution. The second sounds like the long term solution.

What I came up with on my own was pretty simple. I removed all the text blocks that would change from sheet to sheet from the title block symbol I created for my document. When I want to print a sheet I put the sheet title, scale, page mumber, etc, on the top layer in text blocks that I position over the title block. I have the drawing border and title block layer visable but on the "bottom" of the layers selected for the sheet. This works o.k. but leaves text blocks on each layer in the area of the title block. It was an easy first fix but will probably prove to be too cumbersome in the future.

Thanks for replying to my post.

Robert

Robert,

Have you tried to use classes to manage the information that needs to be on each sheet?

You could use a series of classes with these names (for example):

Title Block-Sheet 1

Title Block-Sheet 2

Title Block-Sheet 3

etc.

Then the saved sheets would have only one of those classes visible for printing.

This would allow you to actually have the text on the same layer that your drawing border and title block is on.