3d Roof Tiles Revisited

Neal

I have full faith in your abilities! 🙂

I probably should have touched upon the steps to facilitate this in my post. My bad.

Here is what you want to do to test the waters...

1) make a rectangle like around 20' x 12'

2) select that rectangle and then use the 'create roof' tool and just set the prefs as you wish.

3) set the view to some sort of isometric view from above so you are looking down a bit on the roof.

4) use the 'extract' tool from the 3d Modeling tool set and set it up exactly like in the screenshots below

making sure to set the modifiers to use the 'face' option....

890804857_Screenshot2023-01-19at6_35_38AM.png.d5d52b870e0f643589963f4b4e306fcf.png

2136879527_Screenshot2023-01-19at6_35_58AM.png.da929bdf2800cb285f79f99e4599a3eb.png

5) with the extract tool selected, click on one of the roof faces and it should turn red, then make sure to click the little green check mark from the modifier strip.  It should place a polygon on top of that roof face.

6) Then select that polygon AND that 3d symbol I left off to the right (or if you accidentally deleted that symbol just place another from the resource browser into the file and go to the Model Menu and select 'create surface array' and fill in the data exactly like is shown in the screenshot, sit back and watch the magic!!

188916216_Screenshot2023-01-19at7_04_46AM.png.2f494ef8923b14a415817391d519acd6.png

7) repeat these steps for the other roof faces, and/or use the mirror tool, etc.

That's about it. IF you want to show, as I had, the hip and ridge tiles, just make an extrusion of the tile shape and extrude them, and rotate the ones on the hips of the roof.

Hope this helps!! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Kevin KNice, low overhead (LOL) tile roof!  

I think, usually, no need to choose the Extract tool pref for Create Planar Objects.

If the Planar option is checked, the Extract process creates a 2d polygon oriented on the roof plane.

If Planar pref is not checked, the Extract creates a NURBS surface oriented on the roof plane.

The subsequent Array Surface command returns same result either way.  At least for this roof.

Maybe there is some situation where the 2d poly is the better choice. 

Anyway, I like this for the tiles.  Thanks!

-B

Benson

Do you need my mailing address so you know where to send the check ?  🙂

Yeah, I know of what you speak regarding those settings. The reason I like having it create polygons as opposed to a nurbs surface is that if you, for example like I did in the file I posted, decide you want to hang the roof tiles over the roof edge by some distance...it is way kinder to edit the edge of the polygon than a nurbs object 🙂 Seems to me, anyway.

• Like 1