Turn off auto-scroll at edge of window?

Thomas H Donalek AIA

Question

16 answers to this question

AFAIK the behavior on Windows is the same (?)

When you are in an active Tool, like starting drawing a Rectangle,

and you want to snap to another, second Point

(which may be also already visible in current Drawing Window's zoom level)

and you accidentally touch the drawing border, because you move your (accelerated)

mouse cursor too fast, the Drawing Window View will be (I would say arbitrarily) be dragged

automatically to show that direction ....

Which often ends in even have your snapping target point disappearing on the opposite

side of drawing window, if you were not fast enough to move your mouse back.

(which may even result in accidentally now hitting the opposite screen boarder and your

drawing been sent to the other direction ....)

So you need to start a few Zoom Out and In about mouse cursorScroll Wheel Actions

to bring back you drawing window to the center of interest.

If some people love it and think this behavior is a great feature, great.

But please optionally. For me it creates more harm than benefit.

I would be fine without that feature and Scroll-about-Cursor to manually bring my

snapping target in place.

Edited by zoomer

I have multiple windows/apps open on my Windows machine and monitor (32in 4k).  I'll be working in VW, then go to do something else.  If I move the mouse/cursor to one of the window edge auto-scroll zones inadvertently, then after a couple of seconds, the window starts scrolling/panning.  This wasn't an issue for me on Mac, but that may have been due to using WV on a laptop screen where I only had WV open filling the screen and I would tend to command-tab to other open applications.  I'm not sure.

I can totally see why a lot of people would like having the function that when you pause the mouse/cursor near the inside edge of the window, it would pan what you're looking at.  It's fine when I am actively doing something such as dragging out a rectangle.  But this will happen when I am not clicking/dragging.

But I would prefer a toggle in Preferences to turn it off (given that there seems to be no other solution.)

Actually, I just took a second to try to get it to happen and I can't, which is all the more irritating.  If I click within a few pixels of the edge of the window, it will scroll.  But I have absolutely had the window scroll when I wasn't clicking, and simply moving the mouse/cursor caused the unintended scrolling to stop.

I’m ok with the Pan triggering at screen edge, it can be useful. But for me, the Pan moves the view very much too far, too fast.  I have not measured, but it seems to jump a full screen width or more at first contact. My reaction to control it may be a zig zag away from then back to the screen edge, causing another big jump of Pan, when only a bit is desired. I keep my mouse  on Slow setting. 

The Pan should be optional, and, if enabled, more dynamic. Very slow Pan at first, then auto accelerate if the cursor persists in off screen position. This should be a slider in prefs to control the initial Pan Speed and the acceleration. Similar to general mouse cursor control. 

-B

YES PLEASE. 

This feature is great with the use of tools, but a recent update has made is much more prevalent when simply using an unclicked selection tool. 

It is so frustrating while making changes in the OIP, to have the screen take off on its own for no reason. 

I really hope they fix this. 

• Like 1

I would like this fixed, removed, or a button to turn this off in 2023 also PLEASE. Like Whitfield said above just moving my mouse over the edge of the drawing screen to grab a tool or to access the object info palette causes my drawing screen to move. I must spend 1 HOUR out of every 8-hour day re-zooming, relocating, recentering my drawing after the screen moves inadvertently!

This is a counterproductive, non useful feature. If I want my screen to move, I am happy to hold down the mouse button with or without a tool in place like it used to be in the 2019.

Will this be fixed in 2023 or do we need to spend $$$$$$ for a new version to address an issue that seems to have been purposely added to increase sales revenue for the new now "fixed" version?

As a suggestion; I understand Vectorworks wants to keep improving the software product by adding new features. After all, if Vectorworks didn't do this we would still be on MiniCAD and the company would be out of business. It is understandable that a company needs something new to sell. HOWEVER, if Vectorworks wants to add new features to their expensive product that have little to no value and serves no practical or useful purpose to productivity, than I would STRONGLY suggest that these new features come with an on and off button.

Adding non useful features to gouge your customers into paying for a new version for a fix disrespects the loyal customers you have. Especially the customers that have been loyal to Vectorworks since MiniCAD like myself.

Vectorworks needs to address this with a fix since it decreases productivity and the purpose for Vectorworks "enhancements" and new software versions is to increase productivity.

My 2 cents.

• Like 1