Wall wrapping is locked in all the wall styles I have created

K.E

Question

Fairly new to Vectorworks, set myself the task of creating a basic house to get used to the software.

I have created some new walls styles and I need the exterior layer of the walls to wrap around the openings for doors and windows. In "wall closure as inserts" in both the oip and edit wall style, all of the options are locked. I tried using a wall type that is already in VW, and I can change the options here, but all the wall types I've created are locked. I cannot work out how to unlock these options.

8 answers to this question

I think the issue is that you have not specified a Core component for your Wall style. I believe Wall Closures need a Core component as the interior/exterior wrapping is relative to the Core. This should be made clearer in the documentation. Or perhaps having no Core should not be an option.

7 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I think the issue is that you have not specified a Core component for your Wall style. I believe Wall Closures need a Core component as the interior/exterior wrapping is relative to the Core. This should be made clearer in the documentation. Or perhaps having no Core should not be an option.

Yep, that's sorted it instantly, thank you!

Just out of interest, what does core actually mean in this context? When you set a component as the core, are you specifying it as the center of the wall?

Cool.

You'd normally make the structural component the Core because then Walls will auto-join the way you'd normally want them to, it means when you're inserting a Wall using using Core Component Control Line Mode the Wall will align where you want it relative to perhaps the edge of a Slab or another Wall underneath, it also comes into play with the edges of Slabs, + it's the component that the Wall Framer command looks for when you run that.

I think Wall Closures rely on a Core component being present + just assume you've already specified one for all these other reasons.

This is from Help:

1133768156_Screenshot2023-01-14at20_16_34.thumb.png.765909bacd8de0fc93447b22f7bd936f.png

Following: I was hoping the 'core' function would work for me too but still not the case. I notice that other users having similar problems sometimes have the 'Wrap to Insert' and 'Wrap to Opening' columns filled in with values but I have no idea how to activate those columns. I'll keep searching the forum.

I finally got it to work! The step I was missing was selecting/ checking the appropriate materials within the 'Wrap' column of the Wrappings dialogue window (found within the Wall Closures at Inserts main window). Also selecting the 'Core' as the wrap to point made it obvious once it all worked. Thank you everyone for the input and getting this feature figured out!