Files frequently fail to display correctly on opening

David Hawkins

Question

In vectorworks 2023 Fundamentals on Mac OS 12.6 (service pack 3), running on a 2018 Intel mac mini, files frequently fail to open correctly. The software displays the loading dialog and runs through steps 1/11 before displaying the drawing window, but the drawing canvas area is completely grey. Objects can be selected by clicking on the screen but the display does not update. If a new object is created, the display will update once but appears pixellated and strange with blank areas if it is then panned or zoomed. The file can be saved as normal. The location and contents of the vwx files do not not seem to affect this behaviour. I have had similar problems with versions 2021 and 2022 with the same hardware, but with v2023 it happens at least 90% of the time regardless of which file is selected. Repeated saving and re-opening of a file and sometimes  restarting of vectorworks eventually result in it opening normally - but this can take several minutes and is affecting productivity in my structural engineering practice. Anyone else experienced this / know a solution or workaround?

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 16.30.51.png

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 16.11.52 2.png

1 answer to this question

I have been informed by Nemetschek support that my mac mini does not meet the minimum specifications to run Vectorworks, having only Intel UHD 630 integrated graphics with 1536MB VRAM available. This doesn't explain why my colleagues with similar specifications have no similar problems.

In case anyone else has a similar issue, I have discovered that the problem appears to be related to having two monitors connected. As a workaround, temporarily disconnecting one monitor before opening drawings has resulted in them opening correctly every time i've tried it so far, even when they have previously failed.

I have seen a rumour in another thread that changing the 'Displays have separate Spaces' option in macOS might also be of assistance.