Rendering

Kiwi Ross

Question

2 answers to this question

Hi there!

Well, from the outset, it all depends on what you want to see, and how much you need to see...

As you probably know, Artlantis used to be the 'preferred' rendering engine for MiniCAD. However, it was more expensive than the actual architectural package it was supposed to support, not the other way around.

With the marketing transition to Vectorworks and it being the premiere architectural package for those of us without hundreds of thousands of dollars to blow on every seat in the house, and each and every release of AutoCRAP... Diehl Graphsoft gifted us with Renderworks.

From our experience, Renderworks for VWA8 did everything and more, than we expected, especially at the price point that was attached to the Renderworks application. RW9 has all the same promise, along with a few bugs that will be fixed in a month's time, and more with the foundation being built on Open GL, a super fast realtime rendering engine, along with twice as many Rendering selections, as in the first version.

All-in-all, to make things short (ya, right...) try Renderworks first, the price is not that steep (call them right now about the possibility of getting the AIA convention price when bought with VWA9, free!) and see if it works for you, I would think it will... If not, you can step up to Artlantis (which is not a huge steep, at that...), without burning a hole in your pants, so to speek...

Good luck and let me know what you choose to do!

------------------

C M Harada

Perspectives Design

Group, ink

Denver, CO

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes I did pick up Renderworks, in fact I now have VW8.5.2 Renderworks 8 as well as VW Architect 9.0.1 and Renderworks 9.0.1.

Wow, really impressed at what can be done.

Now picking up an extra 256Mb of RAM to see if that speeds things up.

Clients just love finished reults.

Still lots to learn with 3D.