Slings Library

Hello everyone

I don't usually use "slings" that fold into the truss tubes. However, I only have a sling alternative that doesn't rotate around the tubes.

image.png.2733cb36f2eaf9187b9f45272d246cee.png

And this alternative is strange because the shackle is in the wrong position.
I tried to rotate the motor, but the sling follows the rotation movement

image.png.93e82f6e16b19487a292458d6a1a46df.png

Are there more libraries?

I also have a truss in diamond orientation and another truss with rotation and I can't find any sling for it.
In this case, perhaps the use of a sling rotating in the tubes so that it does not rotate is the best, however, there is nothing of the kind in the Vectorworks libraries.

How can I resolve this issue?

image.png.0bd96086fb27543cb8ecc3bb5e16de39.pngimage.png.c3a8f4b00e96f78496768cd152f0c7f0.png

Thank you in advance

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Sadly due to the enormous number of possible sling configurations for each truss type it wasn't practical for the content team to create symbols for them all, but as @Stefan B. says you can make your own library of sling /pick up symbols.

The current library was created by laying out a set of 4 circles to represent the truss chords (48mm diameter), which were then spaced based on the truss geometry. A set of NURBS curves was then used with the extrude along path tool to create the sling geometry, content used a combination of 3 NURBS curves, one for the upper end to create the loop for the shackle, one for wrapping round a chord and a straight section to join the wraps together. This way the NURBS could be dragged into position each time and joined to create the path for the sling. Last steps are to insert a shakle symbol and add and fill in the Sling Record.

The issue with the hoist's hook correctly lining up with the shackle is a bug and I'll get a report opened for it

• Like 1

Thank you Stefan B. and jcogdell. 💪

Is there any video I can watch about Slings or more general about Nurbs and how to create a library with our own symbols?

20 hours ago, jcogdell said:

Sadly due to the enormous number of possible sling configurations for each truss type it wasn't practical for the content team to create symbols for them all, but as @Stefan B. says you can make your own library of sling /pick up symbols.

The current library was created by laying out a set of 4 circles to represent the truss chords (48mm diameter), which were then spaced based on the truss geometry. A set of NURBS curves was then used with the extrude along path tool to create the sling geometry, content used a combination of 3 NURBS curves, one for the upper end to create the loop for the shackle, one for wrapping round a chord and a straight section to join the wraps together. This way the NURBS could be dragged into position each time and joined to create the path for the sling. Last steps are to insert a shakle symbol and add and fill in the Sling Record.

The issue with the hoist's hook correctly lining up with the shackle is a bug and I'll get a report opened for it

PS: How you tag users here on the forum? 😅

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 hours ago, Cristiano Alves said:

Is there any video I can watch about Slings or more general about Nurbs and how to create a library with our own symbols?

For the NURBS check out the Vectorworks University.

Creating a library is simple, a library file is a normal Vectorworks file that only has the symbols in the file resources not in the design layer.

You can use favorites, a user folder or a workgroup folder to store the library file, if its in a user or workgroup folder you have to make sure to save the file into the correct location in the folders file structure (which is auto created when you set up the user or workgroup folder). You can find more info about this in both the Vectorworks Help and the University.

3 hours ago, Cristiano Alves said:

PS: How you tag users here on the forum? 

use the '@' key

• Like 1

I am going to expand on @jcogdell's post just a bit.

9 hours ago, jcogdell said:

Creating a library is simple, a library file is a normal Vectorworks file that only has the symbols in the file resources not in the design layer.

A library file is a file of VW Resources that can be used in other files and accesses through some tools (Object Styles, Defaults [was Default Content, etc.] and through the Resource Manager [RM] to bring it into the current active file. To work as Default, the file needs to be stored in the correct sub-folder so the tool needing the style can find it.

While only Resources in the library file can be seen via tools and the RM, other objects can be stored in the file also and accessed by opening the file and copying and pasting. The resources can also have instances placed on Design Layers or Sheet Layers in the library file, they don't have to be in the RM only. 

A single library file can contain different types of objects. If you need to have a library file referenced from different Defaults sub-folders aliases/shortcuts can be used to put "instances" of a single file into different locations.

• Like 1
On 1/12/2023 at 8:14 PM, Pat Stanford said:

If you need to have a library file referenced from different Defaults sub-folders aliases/shortcuts can be used to put "instances" of a single file into different locations.

What an splendid piece of information once again Pat!

This information helps a lot in keeping library uniformly up to date.

• Like 1