Topographical Survey

JSC15

Hi

Can anybody help me I have received this file from a surveyor as a dwg file but I'm not sure its correct, I have tried to use the stake tool to create a site model as they have not included any xyz data but when I try this the survey disappears totally I then have to zoom back in to find it, as you can tell I am a novice any help would be appreciated.

81 Bay Crescent - TOPOGRAPHICAL SURVEY.dwg

Text strings, text blocks, text objects are often used to mean same thing, although text string is more often used to describe text in worksheet  database or spreadsheet cells. So, here, a text object is intended meaning.

Here is a workflow:

Open the file dwg in a new vwx file.

Verify that units are as expected via File Menu > Document Settings.

Top Plan view.

All layers and classes set to visible,

Layer Options and Class Options set to Show, Snap, Modify Others.

1.  Select All, Fit to Objects - OIP indicates 594 objects. There is a mass of objects near the drawing origin marker.

2. Drag a selection marquee around those objects near the origin - OIP indicates 585 objects

3. Edit Menu > Invert Selection.  This deselects your marquee selected objects and selects everything else.  OIP indicates 9 text blocks.

4.  If you are curious, Fit to Objects to see 9 text objects.  All are empty, and set to 0.0 point size.

5. Delete these 9 text blocks. This should have removed all the trouble makers, but it didn't.  Do the process again . . .

6. Select All and Fit to Objects again. OIP indicates 585 objects.  Drawing displays a tiny drawing border with other geometry.

7.  Marquee select the area around the little drawing border.  OIP indicates 576 objects.

8. Edit > Invert Selection again.  OIP indicates 9 text blocks (again???).  Unclear why these did not select in the first go.

9. Delete the 9 text blocks.

10.  Fit to objects.  This reveals the objects in and near the drawing border.

Note that these remaining objects are 400000mm from the drawing origin. Vectorworks does better near the origin.

If no need to exchange files with others who expect this geometry to be same place each round trip, I suggest move all this as a group so that the drawing border is centered on your drawing origin.

Stakes make things disappear because the design layer imported as 1:50000. Stakes default to 12pt which is massive compared to the site geometry. I set layer scale to 1:100.    Use the Advanced Import settings to preset layer scale.

Everything measures mm where it should be m (fence segment is only 5mm long?). You may therefore want to group the site geometry and scale it up by factor of 100. (1000?)  Before scaling, convert all the symbols to Group - the elevation markers (crosses), tree centers, tree canopy markers, etc.  These are symbols which do not scale or relocate relative to other geometry. Select all the geometry, then Modify>Convert>Convert to Group.  Do this several times in case of nested symbols. (Or do this with via Advanced Import settings) Your stakes will come in at better scale.  Prior to rescale, separate out the drawing border elements and place them on a sheet layer. They are proper scale, I think.

Site geometry stays on the design layer and gets rescaled. Make a sheet layer viewport of the design layer items. Select viewport scale so that viewport fits in the drawing border.

OK, Post back as needed.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
Connections and reconnections
  • Like 3