Transferring Plant Settings Between Landscape Areas in 2022

Michal Zarzecki

Question

Hi all,

I have recently moved to v2022 and struggle with getting my head around transferring settings from one landscape area to a new geometry. In 2021 I was able to use a pickup mode and then a bucket mode to transfer the plant settings this way, but I don't seem to be able to do that in 2022. Am I missing something here?

I know that I can save the LA as a style, but I would then like to be able to modify the plant settings without converting to an Unstyled object. What is the current workflow?

10 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, Michal Zarzecki said:

pickup mode of the Landscape Area tool

It works for me in VW2022. Pickup Mode picks up the settings of an existing LA, whether styled or unstyled, + makes them the default preferences for the tool when you next use it. Bucket Mode will convert a poly-like object into a LA using the settings you've made the default.

This is what I was doing:

BUT: I've investigated further + when I checked in 3D I realised that the settings for the unstyled LA (the RH one) weren't being picked up properly. For some reason the component settings seem to default to a previously selected style rather than picking up those from the selected LA:

642077996_Screenshot2023-01-11at12_01_44.thumb.png.d7035feeaaf16b1799f5d0a5864f6b58.png

Is this what's happening with you?

I have just tested in VW2023 + there it works as expected i.e. the tool picks up the component settings correctly whether the LA is styled or unstyled:

166210346_Screenshot2023-01-11at12_06_57.thumb.png.6f787d42e37d6c10753b601e983d670c.png

7 minutes ago, Michal Zarzecki said:

@Tom W., did you manage to transfer the planting setting this way as well? In mine it picks up all settings but not the plant details 😞

Hmm in VW2022 the plant settings don't get picked up at all if it's an unstyled LA. In VW2023 it's a little better but still not right: here the plant settings DO get picked up but they don't get transferred to the new object... Sounds like you've identified some big bugs that need reporting!

• Sad 1

I have a workaround.

- Copy and paste the Landscape area with all settings as you want them.

- Reduce the copy to a landscape area that is smaller than the area you want to copy the info to. (I usually delete all but 3 vortices, and form those into a small triangle. Then I can copy that as many times as I like to do the below process, and it fits in all of the shapes easily. Usually)

- Move the copy to be inclosed by the new area (which can be an existing landscape area or a polygon). All defining vortices and edges must be inside the new shape (because the shapes will add, spoiling your new shape.)

- If adding to an existing landscape area, send it behind the new area. If adding to a polygon, it doesn't matter if it is in front or behind, it will take the characteristics and class of the landscape area.

- Do an "Add surface" with both selected.

- The resultant combo will have the characteristics of the edited landscape area, plants and all.

A bit of a cumbersome workaround, but I find it beats editing each landscape area especially if you have a range of plants in it, each with their own spacing and percentages..  

Edited by TessF