Importing MS ACCESS database into VW worksheets

Norm Hotte

Question

Hello,

I'm fairly new with this software but need to know how I can link my plant database which is in MS ACCESS to a drawing in VW. I dont think it is a matter of cut and paste as the database is rather large and complexe.

I will need to establish symbol links to the database and have certain information appear on screen as I hoover or click the mouse on the symbol? Any help would be dearly appreciated.

Norm Hotte

(613)727-4723 ext. 7137

3 answers to this question

Hi,

Indeed it will be not easy to accomplish your task but I think it can be done. I think you have to export your data inside the database to delimited textfile so VectorScript can read that file. The other way back, you need again a textfile to export your data back to your database.

But you have to find a way to let both programs know that when there is a change in the drawing or symbol. I think you have to use an API Windows call to accomplish this, or you can design a program which monitors the activity in your document and your database program.

I am sure it is difficult to accomplish but I am also convinced that it can be done.

I wish you every success with this very interesting project.

Friendly greetings,

StarGate

I'm not sure if this helps as I'm using filemaker Pro on a Mac, but the principles apply Xplatform. If you build your worksheets to calculate records attached to items in your drawing (Symbols or plain objects with attached records) as long as you recalculate your worksheet when you add symbols, you can export the latest information as tabbed text and then import into your database.

As for marking items in the file, check out creating records in your help file. We use this process to define and output furniture items with identifying catalogue ID numbers with a count of items in a given room. The info is subsequently manipulated in the database rather than in Vectorworks worksheets as more data options are provided in the database.

Hello,

I readed the latest reply about using Worksheets to export your data. We are using VectorWorks 8.5.2 and worksheets on the moment to calculate our prices. Because we have so much trouble and problems with Worksheets in VectorWorks, we decided as you do now to use a database for calculating our prices based on the drawings of our designers. VectorWorks is a very good program but its worksheet capabilities are pre-historic in my opinion. But I agree with you, that your idea to do the calculations in a database problems is the best way to success.

Friendly greetings,

StarGate