dual monitor oddness

grant_PD

Question

I recently upgraded to a 4k monitor as the primary, and moved over my 2k as secondary.  Love the 4k, everything looks great.  When I try to move my palettes over to the secondary, I cannot get the palettes past a certain point.  The mouse seems to be stuck on the "edge" of the first screen and VW is looking for me to dock the palette on the side (I can see the little docking icons).  

Obvious solution might be to get two monitors w/ the same resolution, but I wondered if anyone else had seen this issue.

1 answer to this question

I have a suspicion: the edge of a 4K screen is typically 2160 pixels high, and the edge of a 2K screen is typically 1080.  In Windows 10 you will only be able to mouse across where the edges of both screens intersect (as determined by the screen layout shown in windows' Display settings).  So at a maximum, only 1/2 of the 4K screen will align with the 2K screen, and you won't be able to mouse across where it doesn't.  Try mousing over at a different spot, and/or adjust the monitor arrangement.

FWIW Windows 11 added a setting to change the behavior for moving between different-size monitors so the mouse can always pass across instead of being blocked.

Edited by mdrohn