Export Pdf

carlotta curti

Question

Hi,

I'm new with Vectorworks. I need to export a PDF version of my work. I add an irrigation design on a already existent design create in CAD. I did convert from a DWG file first and now I have a VWX. How can I export in PDF ? When I tried the PDF only show few labels, not even the design I started with. Could you tell me how to do it ? this is not my final version. 

Thanks

frey project 240 pm backup.vwx

4 answers to this question

12 hours ago, carlotta curti said:

Hi,

I'm new with Vectorworks. I need to export a PDF version of my work. I add an irrigation design on a already existent design create in CAD. I did convert from a DWG file first and now I have a VWX. How can I export in PDF ? When I tried the PDF only show few labels, not even the design I started with. Could you tell me how to do it ? this is not my final version. 

Thanks

frey project 240 pm backup.vwx 1.91 MB · 0 downloads

Welcome aboard.

I'll offer some advice, but hope not to sound like a jerk in the process.  There are numerous core skills to learn in order to be effective at this software, visit Vectorworks University and watch the landscape getting started videos.  That will set you off on the right track.

Attached is a quick fix of your file and the resulting PDF using the things I'm about to say.  I turned some classes off in the viewports for clarity, you'll want to determine how to make it look the way you wish.  I did not reconnect your pipe networks or otherwise repair broken connections in the piping.

When asking for help in the future, tell us what version you are using (2023, 2022, etc...). That will make it easier for us to save a file back to you that can be opened.

A few things stand out in your file:

1.  It is poorly developed and not done as typical in any CAD package.

It looks as if you increased the scale of a sheet layer viewport to 1:1 and then laid your irrigation design out on that sheet layer.

That's not how it's done typically.  We place our real world design on a Design Layer and then look at it from a Sheet Layer.  If you have used AutoCAD, that's the same as Modelspace and Paperspace.  If you prefer to work in a Design Layer or AutoCAD "model space", place everything in the Design Layer and don't bother with viewports, you would then scale up your title block accordingly.  I personally think that is a bad idea, but many use the software that way.  I prefer to work at 1:1 in a Design Layer and then sheet the work in a Sheet Layer.

2. The scale your are working at is not very typical.  Perhaps an enlargement at 1"= 20' would be more useful for the legibility of the work.  See attached file.  The notes for a sheet are placed in the viewport annotation space for best functionality.

3. The irrigation tools take some special skills to use and it seems like you were doing the right stuff in that regard, so congrats on that.

Anyhow, stick with it.  Things will get easier.  Definitely look at the advantages of Sheet Layers, Design Layers, and Viewports.

Hope it helps...

frey project-fixed v2020.vwx frey project-fixed.pdf

• Like 1

Thank you Jeff. 

As I said I'm new to Vectorworks and I guess I started from the end with my project. I'm working with Vectorworks 2021. I opened your VWX and tried to export it in PDF , I should be able to do it I guess. The PDF I export is blank. 

I will look at other classes in Vectorworks University , as far as now I just focused on the irrigation one. 

Could you send me a screenshot of your setting when exporting a PDF or something similar that can help me. 

Thanks

Carlotta