best practice for getting square footage of flooring?

grant_PD

I always have these floors with various inlays in them, never rectangular.  For purposes of modelling I usually just draw the polygon, set the texture and extrude ~1/8" (usually the end product is lvt or roll out flooring).  Then in the floor plan, I would like to show the area of each type of flooring.  But other than redrawing in the annotations to get that info, I don't know how to accomplish this.  Any suggestions? 

The workflow is all 3d, so I'm really reluctant to do any sort of 2d in the actual model.  

The floor object seemed promising, but last time I used it the floor would break upon entering c4d for rendering.

1 hour ago, grant_PD said:

@Tom W. thanks for this!  

No problem! Although I have to admit I don't really understand how/why it works... The 'area' Object Function only works on 2D objects + yet the 'Area' Worksheet Function seems to see the 2D object inside of the Extrude...? If you convert your extruded floor into a Generic Solid the Data Tag will no longer work. If you have two extruded floor objects + combine them into a single object using Add Solids the Data Tag won't work. If for some reason you created you floor by drawing an 1/8" high rectangle + extruded it the length of the room, the Data Tag will return the area of that rectangle i.e. the edge of the floor not the floor area in plan.

Calling @Pat Stanford! Why would #WS_AREA# behave differently to #AREA#?  

WS_AREA uses the Worksheet Function =Area running it like the item that is tagges is in a database row in a worksheet.

I think over the years the AREA function in a worksheet has been "enhanced" to be able to be smarter about different types of VW objects and return the proper information depending on what is required for the object type.

The real question is why weren't all of those "enhancements" to the worksheet functions included as part of the specification for the Data Tag tool and language. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1