Connector Panels in 3D

spettitt

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the workflow of designing non-racked 'facility panel' CTPs and being able to place them around a building model. The kind found around loads of theatres:

image.png.67bb1405ad2f491decf5329dfa6a13ad.png

Because the facility panels we design have other important geometry (bump bars, hinged doors etc), we could/would have 3D symbols in our library and use 'show symbol' to make the CTP adopt the real geometry.

However, it seems that I can't place 3D panels around a venue model, because being tagged CTP forces them 2D. However, I need the 'Get Connectors' functionality, so I think I'm stuck? We can have 200 of these on an installation project, and coordination of their sizes, depths and placement around other contractors is a major design task. Is there any short-term way to make this work please? Maybe I need a script that generates a 3D equipment items based on the physical attributes of the CTP items, but not tagged as a CTP, but ignores ones already created.

If this currently isn't possible...could it be incorporated in to the planned hybrid refactoring? I get why CTPs are shown panel-up in Top/Plan view, but in 3D the physical panel geometry really matters to us.

Thanks

Simon

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Simon,

I would be the first to agree that this workflow has some weaknesses. In fact it's that time of year when people on the forum start asking for the features that I'm already planning. But I also have some suggestions for now. Because in most situations the panel design is not a one-off, it can be more helpful to have detailed front views of the panel as a separate visualisation of each panel type and create suitable drop point styles based on those symbols to show where each individual panel is located. That way you are integrated into cable path planning.

In the end when it comes to 3D modelling of complex boxes Vectorworks has all the tools you need. The nice-to-have part is to relate the connectors in your 3D model to sockets on your schematic. And yes there is room for improvement.

Thanks for the feedback.

Conrad

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Just another thing. Perhaps you are missing the distinction between symbols and plug-in objects? the Equipment Item is a plug-in object whose drawing is driven by its parameters. A symbol is just a passive object that draws a predefined set of objects stored in its symbol definition.

At the moment an Equipment Item whose name begins CTP_ draws in front view only. The idea being that you can get the connectors from the schematic and lay them out physically. But as you say that doesn't translate to 3D yet...

C

Thanks Conrad, appreciate you taking things on board.

1 hour ago, Conrad Preen said:

In the end when it comes to 3D modelling of complex boxes Vectorworks has all the tools you need. The nice-to-have part is to relate the connectors in your 3D model to sockets on your schematic. And yes there is room for improvement.

Sure. IMO, I'm less worried about the connectors in 3D, that is a nice-to-have, the thing here is the disconnect between the EI (or any symbol from 'Use Symbol') containing H/W/D values and those values not being able to exist in a linked/automated way in 3D space by virtue of being a CTP, which is the important thing for coordination of the size/location of the panel with other contractors.

1 hour ago, Conrad Preen said:

Just another thing. Perhaps you are missing the distinction between symbols and plug-in objects? the Equipment Item is a plug-in object whose drawing is driven by its parameters. A symbol is just a passive object that draws a predefined set of objects stored in its symbol definition.

I'm fine with the distinction, but we would sometimes use 'Use Symbol' for the EI to replace the PIO generated panel with the actual panel geometry. In which case, if it's natively a 3D symbol, then it should just use that geometry, but if it's a vanilla PIO, it could generate something from the H/W/D.

But for the moment, like you say, drop point styles are the way, and I just need to find the quickest workflow for sorting out symbol-based styles from the panel inventory of the file.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...