Setting the default linetype in resource folder

Artel31Ibby

Ok this one seems like an easy one:

We have our line tool default set to a solid line (for most uses) and want to leave it as the primary setting.

However, we often want to draw a dashed line - so we select "line type" from the attribute pallet and ..... end up with an obscure zig zag style that we never use.

Every time we do this we get the same obscure style.

I've tried setting a default dash using the eyedropper, etc. to no avail.

How do I set the "line type" default style so that it sticks to something (on purpose)?

Unless it's change in recent years, I believe it always uses the first Line Type from the current file's Resource Manager, that is, alphabetically. There have been requests over the years to be able to specifically choose which linetype it defaults to, but nothing has been implemented.

One workaround is to simply re-name the linetype you typically want so that it falls first in line (such as "1. Medium Dash"), though I realize this may not practical for everyone depending on naming standards and/or resource sharing.

@Andy BroomellIt does not seem to be that simple.  😞

I started a new file and from the resource manager created two simple Line Types.  ZLineType was created first and ALineType was created second.

When I then used the Attribute Palette to set the Line to a LineType it chose ZLineType.

Which kind of matches with my memory of it being the first Line Type created.

But I have somehow gotten my default (VW2023 SP2) to default to ISO-02 Dashed, but I don't know how I did it. It has something to do with the Line Types.vwx in the Applications Folder, Libraries, Attributes, Line Types.

I THINK it may have to do with the creation order, but I have not been able to work out exactly what I did or why.

@Artel31Ibby, as Andy does suggest, make sure you have a Line Type in your template file so VW does not go looking the the Vectorworks Libraries trying to find something.

If you have one Line Type you want to be the default, make it first Line Type you add to the template and cross your fingers.

• Like 1