Stories for Spotlight users

Hello,

We work on both event projects and also the installation of the same systems in venues, which means we are increasingly looking at being able to communicate in IFC. We don't need to draw architectural elements - our stuff will be truss objects, structural members, hoists, racks etc. But we do need to make sure these objects appear in an IFC on the right Story.

Right now, I can't see Stories in my Organisation dialog. In Export IFC Project / Layer Mapping, I can only see Vectorworks 'Story 1'. Is there another way I can define Stories?

Thanks

Simon

For anyone searching this query in the future, it appears there is enough in the IFC Export layer mapping tab to make this work.

I can change Number of Stories to, say, 5, which creates 'Story 1' thru 'Story 5'. I can then override the exported IFC Story Name to something Project-specific, and assign the relevant Design Layers to each Story.

The Elevation of each IFC Story is then determined by the Elevation of the lowest Design Layer.

I don't have the benefits of modelling with Stories in Spotlight, but we don't need them, we just need to produce a logical IFC.

Edited by spettitt
  • Like 3

One workaround is if you have access to venue IFC file to import venue IFC to Vectorworks. If my memory works correctly (it does, I had to make test) Vectorworks Spotlight can read Stories when you import IFC in to the file. Import also creates layers at the same time.

You need to do:

1. Import venue IFC to new file

2. Delete all objects from the new file (This is optional, depends how you want to reference venue IFC)

3. You have "Spotlight" file with correct layers and stories to add AV equipment

4. On IFC export you map correct layers to stories

This is most helpful if you can do this when you are starting your project. When starting like this you can also get venue IFC to set your coordinates and be sure that you are using same origin.

image.thumb.png.97f275afde77e3b5c1620765315b3dbf.png

Edited by aheininen
  • Like 2