Possible to convert exterior elevations from 3d to 2d?

grodr

Hello,

Is it possible to convert the exterior elevations of a 3d model into 2d lines?  I was able to use the convert to lines tool for the floor plans; however, unable to successfully do the same with the exterior elevations.  We would prefer to develop the project in 2d instead of 3d.

Any tips / assistance is greatly appreciated...

Thank you.

• 4 months later...

My firm also prefers to develop a project in a hybrid mode. We use basic 3D modeling and BIM and develop the construction level drawings 2D while using viewports from the model as the base. We want to use this same technique for elevations but find the process of cutting a section viewport to sheets, converting to lines and copying to design layer too tedious when we update the model. We have to repeat the entire process every time an update is made. When trying to cut a vertical section to design layer, when the section elevation line is placed outside of the model, ie elevation, it defaults to horizontal section but works fine on sheet layer. Is there a setting somewhere to change this? Or is there an alternative workflow to consider?

On 5/31/2023 at 3:36 PM, E|FA said:

Can you explain why you copy elevations back to a design layer rather than working in the annotation space of a sheet layer viewport?

Agreed, I t’s such a tedious and senseless approach. Viewports can be “seen” in hidden line render which basically gives you lines with no shading, but update effortlessly. Try it, you’ll like it. 

On 5/31/2023 at 1:36 PM, E|FA said:

Can you explain why you copy elevations back to a design layer rather than working in the annotation space of a sheet layer viewport?

We experimented with using the Annotation space previously but moved away from it because we felt it added extra steps. ie, make a design change in the design layer and then have to go to a different location to update the associated note...

On 5/31/2023 at 2:04 PM, Jonathan Pickup said:

you could consider using the section (elevation) on a design layer and choose Display flattened

I will look into that, thank you for the hint.