Sweeps coming out as squares/diamonds

I've been having this issue recently where sweeps render in Shaded view as squares or diamonds.  In the posted image, you can see that it is a round object, but it's rendering as square.  Shaded view is in High Detail mode.  If I change the detail mode to anything else, it updates, and renders correctly.  But this is nearly all the time now.  I have noticed this only in this particular file, but haven't done enough experimenting to see if it happens elsewhere.  Is there some dumb setting somewhere that might be causing this?  This tracks through restarts of Vectorworks and my laptop.  VW 2022 SP3 on MacBook Pro.

image.png.b54ab7a091b899e496450c638a9546aa.pngimage.png.c9a9a8d03f8cbdad6a6208ec78bf4533.png

15 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Check the VW preferences and make sure the 2D and 3D Conversion Resolution are not set to Low. But even that should give an octagon and not a square.

The 3D Conversion resolution had been set to very high, which I think I read can cause issues.  Let's see if that solves it.  Thank you!

2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

What happens if you copy and paste the fixture into a new document?  If that has problems, please post that file so we can take a look.

If that does not have problems, can you post the original file?

I didn't notice issues in other files, but I've been working mostly in that single file recently.  Let me see what happens now that I've changed the 3D Conversion Resolution.  If it continues, I will post the file.  I've already completed the fixture in the pasted image and moved on.

3 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

What happens if you copy and paste the fixture into a new document?  If that has problems, please post that file so we can take a look.

If that does not have problems, can you post the original file?

The problem has persisted, so I made a new file to test it out.  The problem followed to a new file.  I have attached that new file.  In the file, there are pasted examples of the renders and some notes.

In my preferences, 2d and 3d conversion are set to high.  Any other setting related to display is on at least high.

Sweep Example.vwx

Edited by SamIWas

It is a lighting device problem, so I am going to leave it to the Spotlight experts to try and figure this one out.

If I place a copy of the symbol on the same layer as the lighting device using the symbol, the LD renders with square knobs. The symbol with round nobs.

Even after replacing the symbol the LD is using and then switching it back.

Very strange.

Just echoing what Pat said - it seems to have to do with it being a Lighting Device for some reason. There's nothing wrong with your render settings or sweep settings.

While I have no idea why it's doing that, if you'd like a workaround, just edit the 3D component of the Symbol, navigate to the knobs and select them, then do Modify > Convert > Convert to Generic Solids. Hopefully this helps.

1 hour ago, markdd said:

I know this probably won’t help you now, but I opened the file in 2023 and all is fine.

Have you tried converting any sweeps and other problematic objects into Generic solids?

No, I have not converted them.  At this point in building, I still want to be able to edit the shapes.  

I have seen this in both VW2022 and VW2023, but it only affects the Shaded render type.  If you do a Hidden Line, Redshift, or Renderworks rendering, it all works fine.  I suspect it has something to do with the new Shaded code in regards to Lighting Devices by trying to keep the 3D geometry simple when you have a lot of lights.

Shaded w/ Lighting Device next to Symbol, quality set to High

image.thumb.png.959502aa83890e0fb0d16bcaf9021737.png

It's almost like it's defaulting the Shaded quality to Low.  When I make any change to the Shaded quality, even setting it to Medium, the geometry resets and displays properly, but only sometimes and not on all Lighting Device objects.

After changing the Shaded Quality from High to Medium

image.thumb.png.3db3df96b9b87943d920fafe987fc05f.png

Zoomed out from above, left two fixtures still low quality

image.thumb.png.40cc632d0cefd75e67501740507edc31.png

Elsewhere in the drawing, correct fixture is of a different type and using a different symbol than example above

image.thumb.png.0d654c11cd4ed9f1ff98eae397b400f3.png

The drawing has 61 lighting fixtures currently visible, and only 1 or 2 of the fixtures are rendered properly at any given time.  Which fixtures display properly appears to be random and change each time I change the Shaded quality level.

I have also found that this only affects design layers, if you have a viewport set to Shaded background render mode, everything renders as it should.

8 minutes ago, Jesse Cogswell said:

I have also found that this only affects design layers, if you have a viewport set to Shaded background render mode, everything renders as it should.

Well, good to know that viewports render correctly, since that's what most people will see.

On 1/4/2023 at 1:56 AM, Pat Stanford said:

It is a lighting device problem, so I am going to leave it to the Spotlight experts to try and figure this one out.

If I place a copy of the symbol on the same layer as the lighting device using the symbol, the LD renders with square knobs. The symbol with round nobs.

Even after replacing the symbol the LD is using and then switching it back.

Very strange.

Things get even stranger with regards to lighting device rendering.  Now I've found that even if I have an object assigned to a certain class which has a texture assigned to the class,  an object within a lighting device will render with that texture even if the texture is assigned to "None" for that particular object.  The object will not take on the object color.  If I insert the symbol as a symbol, and not a lighting device, this does not happen.  Ugh...so frustrating.  Have to make the texture take on object color to get around it.  

Same symbol as a symbol and a lighting device (with random test block added)

image.thumb.png.506ac5f07ecb0c670bb8510d18036018.png

Edited by SamIWas