Wall Tool Eye Dropper

_James

Question

It could be handy to have an eyedropper/pipette tool as part of the Wall Tool to speed up the selection of wall styles. Often when working on projects and I would like to amend something my current process is:

1. Hit '9' to select the wall tool.

2. Move mouse to top bar and click the "Wall Style:" dropdown menu.

3. Navigate around the resource browser and select the relevant wall style

4. Draw what's needed.

What I would prefer is a way in which the wall style can quickly match wall styles of what is around it, which could look like:

1. Hit '9' to select the wall tool.

2. Hold down shift/alt/option (doesn't matter which) to bring up the eyedropper/pipette.

3. Select a nearby wall style which then becomes the active style

4. Draw what's needed.

So often I find the resource browser really interrupts the flow of working and making amendments and often times I don't really care what the wall style is, it just needs to be the same as the one next to it or nearby. Particularly with how Wall Styles are at the moment, whereby we have many variations of essentially the same wall (internal timber stud wall in 100mm, 130mm, 150mm etc.), it's not the smoothest path to be searching through this.

The same principle could obviously apply to other tools, but Walls came to me first.

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

Have you tried the Create Similar Object command/tool?

Option+Command  (PC: Ctrl+Alt) - The cursor will change to a pipette. Click on the wall style you want to activate and the Wall tool will be activated with the correct wall style loaded. 

The Command is also loacated in the Workspace editor, so you can add it to a Menu and assign another shortcut to it of you prefer....

Edited by markdd
  • Like 2