Changing shapes of walls?

Miss

Hi, I am trying to build a row of archways, I have tried adding shapes to my walls and clipping surface but that hasn't worked. I have attached an image for reference as to what I'm going for. Would it be a matter of adding actual doors into my wall and changing the shapes of them within the setting? If so, how do I model the things around the door etc? Thanks 

istockphoto-182059497-612x612.jpeg

Edited by Miss

There is no simple way to do this with the standard Vw Door Objects; This is not a simple task that you have set for yourself.

One option that might minimize the amount of 3D modeling, is to purchase this Vw plug-in Arches. I have not used it, but I purchased another of his plug-ins (Mouldings) and it works great.

Good luck. Perhaps others will have other suggestions on how to get started.

Edited by rDesign

Model the doors + as much of the surrounding architecture as you want/need as custom symbols + insert them in the Wall. Or if more appropriate create a single symbol comprising the whole assembly.

There's a good tutorial here that explains the principle:

https://www.andybroomell.com/custom-doors-windows-vwx

The critical thing for 'sculpting' complex shapes out of Walls is the 'Wall Hole Component' of the symbol (step 7 in the tutorial). You can basically create whatever geometry you want + subtract it from the Wall by including it in the Wall Hole Component of a symbol inserted in the Wall. A symbol doesn't even need to include any visible geometry if you don't want it to, only a Wall Hole Component, and in this way can be used purely as a means of subtracting solids from Walls. So you could have one symbol whose only purpose is to clip the holes in the Wall then a second symbol (or an Auto Hybrid) to represent the new geometry you're adding in: doors, columns, decorations, etc. It might be easier to split the operation up this way rather than trying to combine everything into a single all-singing all-dancing symbol.

• Like 4